epilogue I

-three years later-

•°•

"Are we really doing this?" I looked down at my wife. She tore her eyes off the building, meeting mine with a nod. "It's been three years now. I'm doing better mentally." She shook her head at me.

"The night before promotions were to be announced you had loose motions and threw up quite a lot." She reminded me. "You also lost your temper the whole week on the littlest of things."

I scoffed. "Please, my temper is always in control."

"You kicked the sofa because you bumped into it in the middle of the night."

I opened my mouth to defend myself.

"You screamed at the TV when India lost. You don't even like watching sports."

"That was India vs Pakistan. I'm not a sports freak but I also know how important that particular match is."

"Alright, and what about playing kung fu with the curtains when you ended up tripping over because your foot got stuck?" She placed her hand on her hips.

"You saw that?" I smiled sheepishly, scratching my nape as I blushed.

"As if you were being quiet." She snorted.

That shut me up.

I groaned soundlessly, turning my head the other way. Alright, fine, I've a problem handling my anxiety and stress. So what? Many people do. Some get insomnia, some have frequent nosebleeds, and some faint, I'm just one of them. I understand my health issue is slightly different than theirs, but the core is still the same, isn't it? Seriously, I don't understand what miscommunication happens between my brain and stomach when I'm stressed out.

"This isn't going to work out, trust me." I looked at her pleadingly. "I can't talk to the new people, Priya. And you told me she is a woman!"

She nodded. "She is the best one out there."

"But she is a woman!" I repeated.

"I heard high praises of her from Dr. Lawrence," she smiled.

"But she is a woma- wait, you're still in touch with that french doctor?" I asked.

She beamed. "I am. He is hot."

"Uh huh, Mrs. Shrivastava, careful. I'm meeting another woman soon." I warned her.

"Don't you dare cross a line with her." She threatened me.

"Why?" I smiled teasingly. "Are you jealous?"

"No, I won't be able to find another good counsellor like her if you do that." She deadpanned.

"Wow, you're hell-bent to put me through this, aren't you?"

She nodded. "I can't let you go to the US like this. Who knows how you'll cope up there all alone? You need to be mentally prepared to live without me for two years. And you also need to get yourself a part-time job to cover your personal expenses. You're lucky your office is willing to sponsor a full-ride scholarship for you." She brushed off the invisible dust from my shoulders. "I like your new boss. He's got an eye for talent."

"Why don't you come with me then?" I shoved my hands in the pockets of my jacket and leaned down. "Come with me. We'll rent an apartment there. You work from home. I'll go to college, attend my lectures and then return to you."

Priya's smile faded.

"I shouldn't be so selfish, should I?"

She looked at me apologetically.