𝐃𝐢𝐚𝐦𝐨𝐧𝐝𝐬 𝐢𝐧 𝐭𝐡𝐞 𝐬𝐚𝐧𝐝

∞ • ∞

∞ • ∞

_________________________________________

The gauzy curtains of the royal ballroom swept over the linoleum floor, revealing the indigo night sky beyond the window and waxing moon looking down over the silent, glistening city of his home and childhood. The faint flicker of candles on the chandelier bathed the room in an opulent lavender glow that transformed with every flicker of a flame and every swaying motion of the couple's dance.

Friedrich had never felt such prominent joy in his whole life. Never had he felt more complete, more whole than in that moment as he and Daphne Bridgerton glided over the ballroom floors in time with the music only they could hear.

What great, heroic thing had he done to deserve this woman? What splendour awaited them in the near future?

He twirled her, gracefully dipping her into an arch so low her fingers grazed the floor.

As he brought her back up, turquoise skirts turned navy, tresses auburn turned gold and when she'd made her full ascension, there in his arms was none other than Elizabeth Wattington  smiling, not smirking, up at him.

And his heart burst with gladness.

Indeed, he could find no thing he'd done to deserve such a woman.

He led her ascension farther, capturing her plump pink lips in a kiss so ardent it took her breath away. Elizabeth responded with zeal, snaking her arms around his shoulders to deepen the kiss as she tangled her fingers in his hair. He wasn't satisfied, however, and bit her bottom lip. She wasn't so simply obedient and refused him; until he lowered his hands, giving her backside a firm squeeze and she gasped, at last letting him in and so began their battle for dominance.

"Friedrich..." A light groan escaped at the sound of his name passing from her lips, encouraging him on.

However, the next time said it was with more urgency.

"Friedrich."

"Friedrich!"

His eyes shot open.

"Bloody hell, man." James clicked his tongue in annoyance. He stood in the doorway, dressed in his daily finery. "Did you get pissing drunk at the party or something? Doesn't matter, you're late for breakfast and Aunty Char says we won't start without you, so..." The rebel prince threw a bundled shirt at him. "Hurry up."