𝐁𝐢𝐞𝐧𝐞𝐧𝐬𝐭𝐢𝐜𝐡

∞ • ∞

∞ • ∞

_________________________________________

Dearest gentle reader, it is often said that those who marry in haste must repent at leisure, a sentiment that is clearly shared by Miss Daphne Bridgerton who has apparently rejected not one, but two proposals already this week.

_________________________________________

"You did what?!"

"Lower your voice!"

Brandon ran a hand through his already tousled hair, his shadow flickering in the candlelight as he frantically paced across his office floor.

"He was brutalizing her, brother, and I couldn't just do nothing," Elizabeth hissed. Brandon whirled on her.

"But that is exactly what you should have done, Elizabeth. Is our family not doused in enough scandal as it is?"

"No one saw us." Except the Duke of Hastings. And perhaps Prince James. "I was careful. And do not forget that you have been in your fair share of debauchery; with the Featheringtons, no less."

"That is entirely different and completely irrelevant to this episode of yours!" He exhaled, shoulders slackening as the tension fell of him.

"Tell me how so, dear brother, because from where I'm standing things look exactly the same!" She lowered her voice. "Or do you forget the compromising position you and Prudence nearly found yourselves in? Hm? Need I remind you how lucky you were that it was I who walked in and not father or mother?"

Bringing up the memory was a horrid thing she did to herself as

He rubbed his face. In the faint light of the firelight, she could see the visible strain this was taking on him. It was on her, too. All eyes were on them this season and so the both of them, walking on hot coals, should they make one wrong move and the entirely family name would go up in flames.

"I'm sorry for shouting," he said in a more modulated voice. "But you must understand where I am coming from."

She scoffed, keeping her eyes trained on the Oriental woven carpet beneath their feet.

"Elizabeth."

"I hope you know that I do not come to you with this lightly."

"I know. I do."

"Do you?" She sighed, her arms akimbo as she raised her chin to face Brandon. "I thought we were safe with each other, Bran."