Chapter Twenty

Our bubble of happiness almost popped as Lent drew near. Duchess Philippa came to me with the discomforting news that Richard's sister would be visiting.

Though next to the enormous fireplace, I shivered. "Does my lord husband know?"

The duchess gave a slight shake of her head. "I was hoping the Countess would change her mind since my own husband is still at court. I don't know how happy he would be to have her visit after..."

"The scandal," I supplied and gave a tight smile. "And you're already courting trouble by allowing your Mortimer sister-in-law to stay."

She squeezed my arm. "It's hardly the same thing, my dear. You and Richard were impetuous, but you were free for a marriage."

"Could you tell her that you must wait for your husband's permission?" I asked, hoping to put off meeting the sister-in-law I never wanted.

She gave a short laugh. "That won't stop her. Yorks do whatever they want. But you'll help me get things ready?"

I nodded. "Of course."

There was short time for preparations. When Richard found out, he gave a smile with little happiness. Philippa's ladies gossiped when she wasn't around and I caught more than once glance in my direction. They were well aware of my familial connection to Constance of York's scandal.

The woman arrived with the entourage expected of the Countess of Gloucester. Richard helped her down from her horse and they exchanged a quick embrace. I studied Constance, curious about this woman who had broken so many rules and always survived. Garbed in a fashionable crimson traveling dress and a matching towering headdress, she could have been a queen. I held my head high, unwilling to feel intimidated by her. For so long, I had been next to nothing. Now I was Lady Anne, dressed in the white of York.

She approached me after greeting Phillippa. In her thirties, her beauty was still strong. Her face had hints of familiarity to Richard, but her eyes were much darker than his and far harder.

"Sister Anne," she said, kissing my cheek. "I am glad we have a proper chance to meet. I think I saw you a few times when you were a child. You're prettier than I would have expected. In truth with all I've heard about your poverty, I was imagining a thin little waif, wasting away."

I clenched my hand. "And you seem to have such good health right after childbirth."

A few gasps followed as I flung her scandal right at her. But she beamed, not at all affected by what I said, and nodded at a woman who carried a baby bundled up to protect the child from the wretched winter. I shot an uneasy look at Richard, who went pale.

"We must get the poor child out of the cold, but I thought you would want to see your niece," Constance said. "Mistress Eleanor Holland."

I kept myself steady as I reeled inside. Not only had she given my uncle's name to her baby, but the child had a version of my mother's name.

Constance gave me a knowing smile, seeming to revel in what she had done.

"You shouldn't have traveled in the weather with the baby," Philippa said, saving me from any response. "Gracious, the poor thing."

We brought Constance and her baby inside, but Richard stayed outside, speaking with her men. For the first time since we married, I felt a bit of distance between us and I blamed the presence of the horrible woman. As soon as possible, I excused myself. Philippa, the good woman, understood. I hated to abandon her. She didn't deserve Constance's loud critique of the state of the castle. I had no idea how the woman had so much energy after an exhausting journey.