Chapter Twenty-Two

Grayness swathed the sky, threatening the day with a storm. Shadows crept into the castle like spectral figures, stealing light and happiness. Duchess Philippa had lamps lit in the solar, casting dazzling illumination upon fine tapestries and the colorful cushions strewn across benches. When I was at Usk, all I could afford were candles, but the Yorks maintained a grand state, even in a more private chamber.

Only fitting, since the Prince of Wales was visiting.

On my way to the solar, one glance at the courtyard showed that Prince Hal had not arrived with a grand entourage. He still had men with him, traveling like a man at war. I trembled as I prepared for his arrival, wishing I had been there to greet him. Richard wanted me to wait, and I feared what that meant for my husband. There was no cause to arrest him, but there was no reason to hold my brothers for so long.

The meeting in the solar didn't calm my nerves. If Prince Hal meant no trouble, we should feast with him in the Great Hall before everyone. In these more private quarters, it felt like anything could happen.

I tried to summon the maiden who faced his father when she was a seventeen-year-old orphan. But at that time, I felt as though I had lost everything. Now I had so much I could lose.

Eleanor gave me an encouraging smile. My sister could only ever remember a world with the Lancasters and when Hal was the brave Prince of Wales. She was too young to realize the deadliness of playing a game with them. Even if I thought I had the board at my advantage, they could pick it up and scatter all the pieces.

The Lancasters had all the power.

I refused to show any weakness. Despite Philippa's offer of clothing, I wore Mama's houppelande. Garbed in my mother's finest item of clothing, I felt more like a lady and a Mortimer than a scared little girl groveling to the Lancasters. But I did let my sister-in-law lend me a ruby necklace. My hair was now concealed beneath the elaborate headdress that was considered the height of fashion. Still trying to get used to wearing the circular, woolen horned headpiece, I almost longed for the days before marriage when I could just leave my hair down. But I refused to ever to lower myself again when dealing with the Lancasters.

Even if this was uncomfortable to wear.

When the men entered, I searched Richard's face for any sign of trouble. His calmness almost put me at ease. If he sensed trouble, he would have signaled me. I waited as the Prince of Wales greeted Duchess Philippa and tried to ignore Richard's raised eyebrow at my the headgear. He thought the fashion was silly and he had laughed in a most unmannerly way when I first wore it. But if his sister-in-law and the Queen wore it, I would do the same.

Prince Hal approached me, even more confidence in his stride than when I had last seen him. That was to be expected, since he had such success in Wales. He looked like a man who could conquer the might of France with his own bare hands.

He still wouldn't conquer me.

"Dearest Lady Anne." He took my hand and kissed it. "I have missed you."

I smiled as if unaware that was a blatant falsehood. "I've longed to see you again, Your Highness. People tell such tales of you."

Edward's men often spoke of the wild adventures of the Prince of Wales. I struggled to reconcile the stories with the dignified and far too clever young man I had known. If he were such a wasteful youth, his actions wouldn't have made such a difference with the war in Wales. But despite my natural caution, I was unable to resist letting that arrow loose at him.

He waved away the rude insinuation with a wry smile. "Exaggerations, I'm sure. But I must congratulate you on your new marriage. I cannot say it surprised me. Only a fool couldn't see that the young York was taken with you that Christmas. I told my lord father, but he didn't pay much mind. Never thought Richard would marry a maiden with no dowry and carrying the weight of her family's disgrace."