Chapter Fifteen

When the dreamlike bliss of dancing on ice with Richard came to an end, I tried to remind myself that this wasn't the end. Though he would leave in two days, it only meant he would have the opportunity to gain Prince Hal's support for our marriage.

At least we would have two more nights together. Aunt Joan might have similar thoughts since she sent me her emerald houppelande. I ran my fingers over the rich fabric, almost unused to touching something so fine.

"Of course you'll probably never have anything quite so fashionable again when you marry Sir Richard," Catrin said in a practical way when she helped me dress. "He has no lands and little money."

Her logical point sailed by me as I twirled around, my mind still on that frozen pond with Richard. "Would that be different from now?"

She shrugged. "I suppose he'll make you happy. But I know you want security and I worry this isn't the way."

I paused in mid-twirl. "Are you saying I should refuse him?"

She snorted. "Of course not! Do you think I want to see you mope around for another year?" Her playful expression faded away, leaving only somberness. "I still hope this is enough for you."

I picked up my skirts, ready to skip to the feast. "I can't live my life thinking about possible storms. All I ever do is worry. If I'm enough for Richard, he's more than enough for me."

She folded her arms. "And what about the next time you remember that your family deserves more?"

Before I opened the door, I bit my lip and considered her words. "I can't win the game if I never make a move."

Tired of always worrying about tomorrow, I went down to the feast. The scent of roasted meat filled the hall and light music drifted through the air. Richard greeted me with a smile and my aunt made sure we were seated next to each other. Everything should have been perfect.

Until a messenger arrived for him. Unease flooded me as the man hurried over to Richard after greeting Aunt Joan. Although seated close, I couldn't hear the whispered exchange with the noisy conversation of others buzzing around me. But I didn't miss Richard going as pale as death and mumbling an excuse before leaving the Great Hall. He earned a few curious glances since the visit of a respected knight was an honor in the country and his abrupt exit was more than a little strange. My aunt had grown up around men who had to dash off at the first sign of trouble and showed no concern. It shouldn't disturb me.

Except I feared he had been called for a battle. While that would be an excellent chance to earn favor, it was dangerous.

I also didn't understand why he said nothing.

After the feast, I went back to my bedchamber. I hated the rules that kept me from seeking Richard out. Unable to even think of sleep, I paced around the room until a soft thud on the door halted my runaway thoughts.

Catrin and I exchanged a look before she went over to find out who was knocking. As much as I wanted it to be Richard, I knew he would never endanger my reputation in that way. I almost shook in impatience as I waited for her to finish speaking with our late visitor.

She shut the door and turned back to me. "I think we should go pray, my lady."

I gave a nervous laugh. "At this time?"

"Never too late to pray," she said.

Aware that the message must have come from Richard, I left the bedchamber and hastened to the chapel, with Catrin serving as my chaperone. It was the safest place to meet with him without anyone questioning it too much, but it troubled me that his news couldn't wait for the morning.