Joy nodded. "I understand... Thank you." She appreciated it. The thought that soon she might be better was enough to keep her going.

Once again, Joy woke from what might either be a memory or dream. It didn't send her heart pounding, her breathing rugged or sweat trickling down her back. She knew it wasn't a nightmare. It was a vague scene and now she was awake, she was unable to even picture it.

Joy walked into the living room and headed straight to the kitchen where she reached for a sachet of water from the bag of many of it. She tore one of its ends out and poured some of the water into a plastic cup before she drank down. She walked back into the living room and that was when she saw Dayo who was still asleep on the couch. Joy looked at the clock on the wall before she walked to where he was. Then, she went on her knees in front of him while her hands hovered around his arm, contemplating if she should wake him.

In the end, she shook him casually. "Dayo." She called and by her second trial, his eyes lazily fluttered open. "Wake up, you might be late for work."

For the first few seconds, her words had no effect on him. He was yet to regain his full consciousness. Somehow, he managed to get himself to sit up. He laid his hand on the space between his shoulder and his neck. The expression on his face was that of pain. Joy noticed it. He ran both hands over his face before he looked at the clock. His eyes widened, expressing his surprise at the time. Joy watched him hurry up from his seat and into the bathroom. Close to thirty minutes later, Adedayo was ready to leave the house. There was no extra time to have his breakfast. He just spent it getting ready. He stepped out of the house and Joy did the same after she'd changed into something better. She locked the door behind her. "Are you going somewhere?" He asked.

"I'll walk you down to where you get a transport."

"You don't have to do that. I'm fine by myself."

She folded her arms below her chest. "You don't need to pay attention to me. I'm doing this because I want to be able to recognise my surroundings."

Adedayo rolled his lips in. He had more to say but he settled on letting her have her way. After all, he was short on time.

At first, Adedayo's steps were so fast that Joy was having a hard time catching up to him. It didn't also help that she had to avoid a lot of bad paths like potholes and puddles ahead of her. He noticed she was having a hard time and gradually, he reduced the distance of his strides till she caught up with him. Side by side, they both walked to the end of the street where the road was tarred and both going and coming cars rode side by side each other. Under normal circumstances, which wasn't a morning school day, Adedayo would take a close twenty minutes' walk to the bus stop. But this time, he decided he would board an autorickshaw which would reduce the time spent to around ten minutes before the bus stop.

"Are you sure you know your way back?" Dayo asked Joy and she nodded. She seemed sure yet he couldn't help worrying about her. "Be careful." He told her in the end.

"I will." She replied before he got into the yellow painted tricycle vehicle. Joy waved him goodbye as they drove away and he found himself doing the same. He looked away from her and to his hand which he'd used to wave her with. Dayo swallowed down. He was getting too easily carried away. For him, he was aware of the danger. One thing he couldn't quite wrap his head around was how he'd slept longer than usual. It was the same for him all the time, difficulty in sleeping and when he did, he always woke up on time like someone whose being waited for nothing but daybreak. He couldn't remember the last time he'd slept half as peaceful as he did last night. What changed? He wondered and an image of Joy popped up in his mind. Sure, they'd stayed in each other's company after having dinner but their chat had been little talks, nothing much until she retired to bed.

Joy was successful in returning home and she felt like she'd conquered a big milestone. She took the time to tidy up the apartment with the not-so-straight knowledge of chores that faced her.

After school hours, Adedayo stood in front of the ATM and stared at the balance in his account. Gratefully, he had a manageable sum left. A bit more spending and he could be in trouble. Adedayo didn't want to dwell on the thoughts of after. At least, not yet. He withdrew a few sums then retracted the card and began his path home. Right when Dayo was close to the gate, his phone rang and he picked the call.

"I know you don't care about me but I can't do the same with you knowing I'm all you've got."

The sigh that left Dayo's lips was silent. "What is it, Sarki?"

"Let's have a drink. Like old times."

"You know I don't drink."

Dayo heard him hiss. "Just meet me at the usual bar."

"Sarki..."

"I'll come to your house if you don't show up and maybe I'll have a good chat with a certain someone."

Adedayo was silent, long enough that Sarki wondered if he'd hung up the call. "Fine." He said in the end before turning away from the gate and making his way out of the street and into the next street where a small local bar was situated. Dayo could see Sarki seated at one of the outdoor plastic tables.

"Why do you always make me seem like a needy wife?" Sarki complained after Dayo took his seat in front of him.

"You made yourself into one." Dayo replied before he looked around, observing his environment which he has more than thrice been in. There were less customers than usual, mostly because the sun was yet to set and night yet to befall. The music played under a medium volume.

"I know you won't bring this up so I will." Sarki started and Dayo's eyes were back on him. "What do you plan to do with Joy?"

Dayo's brows furrowed for a second, not having expected that question. "What do you mean? You know she can't remember who she is."

"Ehn, yes. I know that. I also know you don't have much. It's better to stop while you can."

"So, you have nothing new to say. I'm tired. I'm leaving."

"Okay, wait." Sarki reached out to him before he could get up from his seat. "Fine. How can I help?"

Reluctantly, Dayo shrugged his shoulders, not sure of what to say to that question.

Sarki narrowed his eyes on him. "You don't need money?"

He was silent. Hesitant with his words. Of course, he does need money but Sarki has helped him more times than he could count. Each time, he felt more embarrassed and littler in his friend's eyes. Dayo knew Sarki and he understood his desire to help came from a good place. Maybe it was pride. Maybe it was foolishness. Either way, Adedayo felt useless.

"I'm fine." Those were his words and Sarki relaxed into his seat, his inquisitive gaze not leaving his friend. Sure, he knew Dayo was lying. But there was nothing he could do about it.