Chapter 5

The Abbott's Bakery.

  A fairly simple name of the bakery Andrei owns.

  According to him, the bakery has been run by his family for three generations. And it was quite famous in these parts of town. A lot of the bakery's loyal patrons were mostly the townspeople. But apparently, a few people from the lower ranks of nobility would occasionally visit the place when Andrei's grandfather ran the business.

  Andrei used to run the business with his wife but since her sudden departure from the world about five years ago, he kept to himself and preferred to work alone.

  Ding!

  The bell hanging over the front door that only rings whenever customers entered and exited the bakery rang out.

  Usually, people would be greeted by the bakery's owner with his gruff voice and intimidating demeanour. So they were pleasantly surprised to see a young lady standing behind the counter instead. A clean white apron that she had worn over her plain blue dress was wrapped nicely around her waist. Her long hair had been tied up into a bun, some strands of her hair left alone because of her own preference.

  "Welcome to The Abbott's Bakery!" Myra greeted the newcomers who had just entered the building with a bright smile. 

  That was until he decided to take a young lady under his wing and made her his apprentice at the bakery.

***

  "Please let me work for you, Sir Andrei!" 

  "No," Andrei shot Myra down without hesitation before taking a sip of the tea that he made, the teacup appearing so small in his large hand. 

  Myra could only smile in defeat. "Not even giving me a chance to prove myself, Sir Andrei? How mean...," her words trailed off. In her hand was a teaspoon used to stir the two sugar cubes she had just put into her teacup filled with tea until they dissolved. Andrei's tea was simply too bland for her taste. 

  The moon was already up and the bakery had closed a few hours ago. It was normal for Andrei to have his dinner in the bakery's kitchen all alone unless he wanted to go out to visit one of his friends.

  Since Myra started staying here, Andrei had to start getting used to having dinner in the kitchen with another person again.

  They just had dinner not too long ago and now they were drinking the man's signature tea to cleanse their tongues.

  A sigh escaped from Andrei's mouth, his bushy eyebrows furrowed and his lips curled downward. "As I told ya multiple times, I don't want someone workin' for me right now and I'm also not planning on plastering hiring posters around town anytime soon."

  'But that doesn't really make a lot of sense since your bakery is pretty famous and tons of customers come here, especially during peak hour,' Myra thought, her left foot bouncing lightly underneath the table while her right leg was resting on top of the left. 'Shouldn't he have at least one person helping him out during those busiest times?'

  "Besides," Andrei began to add. "Your ankle's healed well. Might as well put it to good use." He placed the teacup on its saucer. "I can put in a good word for you to some of my pals. Who knows? Maybe they'll hire you to do some errands for them at their stores."

  As Andrei had stated, Myra's ankle had healed up nicely in two weeks, just as Doctor Jason said. One would not even believe her if she said that her ankle was injured badly in the first place unless they saw how swollen it looked days ago.