Chapter 2

"Father, I'm home!"

  The moment Myra unlocked the front door of her home with the key which she had to rummage in her bag to find, she was greeted by the heavenly aroma of something cooking from the kitchen.

  Myra didn't even realise just how starving she was until she felt her stomach rumbling.

  'Father probably can't hear me from here,' she thought as she closed the door and made sure it was locked shut. She took off her shoes and pushed them to the shoe rack, unbothered to store them properly today. In the entrance hallway of the house, she placed the key she used into the key bowl that was on top of the entryway table. Aside from the key bowl, there were other small trinkets. Most of them were mementoes her father bought from countries he and Myra visited in the past.

  "Myra? Is that you, dear?"

  "No, I'm a burglar who came in from the front door to steal stuff in your house," Myra answered out loud while heading to the living room. The living room was as tidy as she remembered when she went out today. The folder and her handbag were thrown onto the grey L-shaped sofa. She stretched her body, groaned in satisfaction and made her way to the kitchen where the source of the aroma was.

  "I smell something good," Myra said while grinning. Once she entered the kitchen, she was greeted with the sight of her father wearing a white apron over his regular clothes and smiling back. He had just taken something out of the oven and was about to place the hot tray on the kitchen island.

  Taking a closer inspection, Myra's eyes lit up when she realised that it was a whole tray of chocolate chip cookies. 'Ooh, he's refilling the cookie jar. Nice.'

  Her father pulled off the oven mittens he wore and approached her. "Welcome home, dear," he said as he patted her head. Myra thought she was too old to receive headpats like this but seeing her old man happy like this, she didn't have the heart to tell him to stop. "How was the meeting with that boss of yours?"

  Her mood deflated a bit when he mentioned her boss.

  The man noticed that and winced. "Not that good, huh?" he asked.

  "You know how she is," Myra said while peeking over her father's shoulder. He was using a wok and a frying pan to cook their food. And the stove that was turned on was left unsupervised. "Um, maybe you should turn off the stove first before we resume this conversation?"

  "Ahh!" he cried out in realisation and rushed towards the stove, twisting the knobs on the control panel to change the heat from high to low. He shakily turned his head around to look at his daughter who looked rather amused. "Myra, while I'm busy trying not to burn tonight's dinner, can you set up the dining table?"

  "Sure thing." Myra hummed and went to one of the wall cabinets where they'd store the plates and bowls. "By the way, what are you cooking there, father?"

  "Oh, just your favourite," he answered.

  "My favourite?" she repeated while opening the upper cabinet. She had to be on her tippy toes to be able to grab two plates and two bowls for her and her father.

  "Mm-hm. Shrimp fried rice." The sound of sizzling coming from the wok became louder when Myra's father used a spatula to toss and stir the rice inside while moving the wok back and forth at the same time. "I also decided to make some Korean fried chicken eat the fried rice with."

  Myra took a sniff and almost drooled. When she walked past him to get to the drawer where they keep their silverware, she stole a glance at what he was cooking. "I feel like I have to step up my cooking game for tomorrow's breakfast."