s i x t y

Friday morning dawns, clear and beautiful, and Melita rises early to prepare for Damien and Martha's funeral

Friday morning dawns, clear and beautiful, and Melita rises early to prepare for Damien and Martha's funeral. She dons a new black dress, different from the one she wore at Martha's first funeral, and a new pair of black heels. The old pair of shoes, the ones she wore the first time, and also to her father's funeral, stay safely tucked into the back of her closet. She can't bring herself to throw them out, but she knows she'll never wear them again either.

Harry drives them to the Center Street Church, which has begun repairs since the fire a month prior. The outside bricks of the church are still scorched black, but there is scaffolding around to suggest that construction is in progress. Melita knows it's only a matter of time before every trace of that terrifying night is erased.

Inside the chapel, two framed photos of Damien and Martha sit side-by-side. Damien's is taken from one of the yearbooks Melita gave to Ashton; Martha's is the polaroid she and Harry found while going through her belongings. Her face is soft and her gaze kind; Melita finds it hard to even look at the picture as she takes a seat in the front pew, Harry's hand in hers.

The ceremony is beautiful; much more extravagant than the first funeral Melita put together. A preacher from Harrisford comes to officiate, giving a detailed and praising review of both Damien and Martha's lives, as well as their brief but loving time together. Melita had given permission for an excerpt from Martha's diary to be read, detailing the first time she saw Damien and how her world was forever changed because of true love.

Melita sheds a few tears, but not as many as she was prepared to. Harry keeps his hand in hers for the entirety of the ceremony, providing his familiar kind of quiet comfort. She doesn't want to ever have to go without it.

The preacher is about to lead the church into prayer when Melita becomes aware that her pocket is buzzing. Sneakily, she pulls out her phone to see she's getting a phone call.

"Who is it?" Harry asks, peering over her shoulder.

Melita doesn't recognize the number on her screen, but it must be important because she's already missed two calls from the same number. She discreetly excuses herself and hurries into the empty church foyer to accept the call.

"Hello?"

An unknown voice answers her. "Hi, can I speak to Melita Taylor please?"

"Speaking," Melita replies. "Can I ask who's calling?"

"This is Rebecca at Harrisford General, we have a woman here who's come in through our emergency department and you're listed as her emergency contact. Do you know anyone named Lori?"

Lori. Melita's stomach drops to her feet and her mouth runs dry. "Uh . . . uh, yes, she's my biological mother. Is everything okay?"

Rebecca continues speaking but for a moment, all Melita can hear is white noise in her ear. Her attention only diverts further when the foyer doors open and Harry appears, looking worrisome. He mouths something to her and gestures to the phone in her hand, to which she just whispers, "Lori."