t w e n t y - t h r e e

Boo smooths her hands down the front of her dress, fighting the urge to hyperventilate

Boo smooths her hands down the front of her dress, fighting the urge to hyperventilate. She twirls one way, then the other, then turns around with her neck craned so she can see herself from the back. The girl in the mirror bears the same unsure grimace as her.

"This was a mistake," she mumbles aloud, her lips sliding down into a frown. She hasn't worn a dress in years-not since Russell's funeral. Not only does it bring back unwanted memories of how it felt to watch her father be lowered into the ground, she hates how exposed she feels with her legs on display.

Not to mention that a small part of her is hoping to impress Harry, and her discomfort is preventing her from doing so.

"Forget it," she grumbles. "I'm not going."

The doorbell rings, stopping her from stomping into her closet and jumping into the nearest pair of leggings. She wrestles with a bout of momentary indecision before the bell chimes again and her mind is made up for her.

"Learn some patience!" she shouts at her mystery guest. Her stomach twists nervously as she recognizes the shadow standing behind the front door; Harry's silhouette dances against the frosted glass as he shifts at the sound of her voice.

"How can I be patient when I know what I'm waiting for?" he calls back playfully.

Oh God. Don't throw up on him.

She hesitantly pulls open the door, peeking out while keeping her body hidden. "Hey, Harry," she grins awkwardly. "I'm almost ready."

He raises an eyebrow and makes a move to step inside. "Why are you hiding?"

"Because," Boo retorts, "I need to change."

"Are you wearing a potato sack? Because I'm pretty sure you can pull even that off," he smirks.

She rolls her eyes. "Just wait out here, okay?"

"Not happening," he counters, before gently pushing his way into her living room.

"No-" she protests, sighing in annoyance as he steps inside regardless. His eyes immediately go to her dress and he falls silent. Boo feels her cheeks burn in embarrassment and she hides her face in her hands.

"Harry, I told you to wait outside, why didn't you listen to me?"

Her skin is red hot; she peeks through her fingers at him in time to see his gaze flicker up to her face. "What's wrong with your outfit?" he asks quietly.

She throws her hands up in frustration. "It's . . . I look so silly, and . . ."

"You look incredible. Way too good for some dumb town dance." His electric gaze is unwavering and her blush grows deeper.

"Really?"

A boyish grin spreads across his face, revealing his dimples. Boo's heart skips another beat, and not from embarrassment. "Without question. That dress is officially my favorite thing in the world."