Chapter 15

It's the day I go back to school after the competition. I'm kind of excited, I wonder if people found out about the results already. Will they congratulate us? Or will they continue to act as if we have the plague?

I'm not asking for much, we're not asking for much. We don't want to force them to like us, we just want people to treat us the same way they would treat any winning sport. We just want them to respect us. Treat all of us equally.

To be honest, wala naman talaga akong pake, but my teammates care. By default, ako na rin... I guess.

It looks like my professor for the class just arrived the same time I did. We're just waiting for our morning rites. Medyo maingay 'yong klase nung dumating ako, niisa may bumati sa'kin, I don't even think they noticed me come in. I just let out a sad breathe, mukhang wala talaga silang pake sa'min.

Nakaupo lang ako sa pwesto ko, looking through my notes. Nasa ibang klase sila Jules at Sol kaya wala akong makausap. Before classes start, the school's speakers, which are set in the hallways, turned on.

"Good morning, dear students! This is your dean, Ma. Carlita Everette, speaking. Before we start the day, I would like to congratulate the figure skating team, Fusion, for their competition last Saturday. You all did so well... after how many years... Everette Academy will be participating in the Skate Stars Championships! I would like to specifically congratulate Dianna Vicencio for getting in the finals! Not only did she make it in, but she placed first too! Congratulations and good luck to the championships!"

Ever since the announcement, I've received nothing but praises. Every class, the students and professors would congratulate me. I wasn't used to them giving me attention, napapablush at stutter ako every time!

But I'm not stupid... I know that if none of us got in, they would just continue to ignore us and treat us like dirt. I'd smile at the athletes who went to me and asked to be friends. I'm not dumb enough to accept it, alam ko namang peke lang 'yon and they just want to leech off at the success of other athletes. I bet they'd lose their interest at being friends with me once I lose. But I'm also not dumb enough to diss at them for completely changing their treatment at me after the announcement was out.

Anyways... I was used to this kind of fake treatment, where we act all buddy-buddy with others because you know that'll you'll gain something out of it or whatever. I mean, I grew up at a skating school for pete's sake! Majority of them are fake, especially the parents.

Tapos na klase at papunta na 'ko sa rink. I wasn't sure if there was training, but I decided to go just in case.

When I got in the building, I went straight to the locker rooms. I changed out of my casual clothes and into my training attire. I decided to wear a simple white sweater and plain black leggings. Pagkatapos kong magprepare sa locker room, dumiretso na 'ko sa rink. I was surprised with how dark it was. Aalis sana ako ng may bumungad sa'kin.

"CONGRATULATIONS!"

The lights opened, outside the rink, I could see my fellow skate mates and coaches standing with smiles on their faces. They were holding a huge pink banner that says "Congratulations, Di!"

They were holding a surprise party for me!

I was so stunned and pleased, napatunganga lang ako.

"Di! Eto o! Flowers for you!" Sabi ni Lia. I don't know what she meant by that because I couldn't see any flowers. May mga taong nagkukumpulan sa isang tabi, pumunta ako doon at bigla silang humiwalay. Bahagya akong natawa sa nakita ko.

"Bakit naman ganyan flowers ko?! Pang lamay ang dating!"

Natawa kami lahat sa reaction ko. 'Yong flowers na regalo nila sa'kin ay nasa isang stand, full with wreath at white flowers pa. Mga siraulo talaga sila!