She smiles at me. "Fuck no. Even if I was caught, the Headmaster would slap a detention slip on my desk and call it a day. Athletes, we're treated like royalty here."

"So, why smoke at night, if you're not afraid of being caught?"

The real answer, I already know: she just wants to. But, she says, "Because you are."

She passes me the cigarette. I've always stayed away from drinking for personal reasons, which extends to parties because those are full of alcohol and the risk of being caught. But, I've never been as strict when it comes to smoking–hidden. I would never grab a smoke on my own, but I've been alone with Lena in instances like these, and, if I'm being honest, I've accepted her offer to smoke about three times. Not a lot, but I'm not against it. So, I take the cigarette and bring it up to my lips. I don't necessarily enjoy it, but I don't cough or wince.

As I blow out the smoke, Lena gestures to where I came from. "So, when did that happen?"

"What?" I ask, relaxing with another puff. If anyone ever saw me smoking, they'd probably think there's something wrong with their eyes. Because Sadie Jones would never break the rules like that. Poison her body. No way. But, there's something serene about being surrounded by smoke. After I heard that Maddie died, I wandered aimlessly around campus at night–against the rules, I know–on the brink of having a panic attack. That's until I found Lena, who passed me her smoke and soothed me with her breathy voice. We're not best friends, but she's always there when I need her.

"Don't play dumb, Sadie," Lena laughs, stealing the cigarette to take another drag. "You and Carter? It didn't look like you two hated each other."

"We're kind of dating," I mumble.

"Awe, are you in love?" Lena teases.

"No," I say. Love is complicated. But so are Carter and I. So, I add, "Not yet."

"Well, you're both kind of perfect for each other," Lena says, leaning against the lamppost.

I don't bother arguing with her. "What about you and Landon? Are you two still hooking up?"

She sighs. "No, that's over. I'm heading over to Jason's dorm after this. Third floor. Clarence House. A challenge if I've ever seen one." Sneaking into dorms is always going to be challenge, but, for Lena, seeing the senior hockey player must be worth it. I wonder if I'll be sneaking into Carter's dorm sometime. With his two roommates, I doubt it.

"I have faith in you," I say, taking the cigarette one last time. I know my limit.

"So, with the boyfriend, you're done with one night stands," Lena says, phrasing it as a statement, not a question.

I nod. "I can still be your wingwoman." During the beginning of junior year, Lena and I would set each other up with guys that we knew were interested in the other. My good girl reputation only involved drinking and parties.

Lena puts out the cigarette with the bottom of her shoe. "You were quite good at it."

"I'm good at everything I do," I tell her, smiling.

"I'm not going to deny it, brainiac," she says.

"I'll see you in math class, Lenny," I tell her, knowing that she hates the nickname.

She flips me off, walking away. "Fuck you, but love you," she calls out.

I head over to Cadwell house, finding my bags by the door, as Carter promised. I use my key card to unlock the doors, and walk through the carpeted halls of the dorm, passing the communal room full of brown leather couches. When I walk into my dorm room, Ana and Angie–both in PJs–jump off their beds and race towards me. You'd think they didn't come see me for the JW Debate ceremony a few days ago from their tight grips.