𝕋𝕙𝕚𝕣𝕥𝕪-𝕆𝕟𝕖

📆: September 24th, 2022
📍: Toni's Apartment, Upper east side, Manhattan NY

A/N: Heyyyyy! How yall doing...😅 look, I know I said my "little" hiatus was going to be a month or so, but I lied so sorry🫠 I'm still not better...I'm actually pretty worse😔. But I don't want to leave you guys hanging any longer so...enjoy🫂🤍

Cheryl strokes honey brown locks while Toni's head rests in her lap. Toni would occasionally sniffle and pull the sleeve of her shirt to wipe away her tears.

"Maybe she has a form of asthma? Those are some symptoms, baby."

"N–No. I know what asthma looks like. It's not that." the brunette shakes her head, hiding her face in the material of her girlfriend's sweat pants.

The latter frowns when she feels her girlfriend shake with more sobs. She knows the brunette has to get all of it out before having to meet Elaine and Mikayla today.

Toni has been spending as much time around her mother as she can. For the past 48 hours, she's been going to practice and right back to Elaine's apartment, despite Mikayla, Byrce, and Nohea living down the block for the next two weeks.

Mikayla was able to excuse Nohea from school so she'll be submitting work online until they return home. Elaine's health is more important than school, and Nohea keeps reminding her mother.

Today, the tan woman knew she needed comfort in her girlfriend so she got her sister to keep an eye out for their mother while at her doctor's appointment.

Toni has never been more nervous in her life. And that says a lot because she's a professional athlete.

Cheryl rubs Toni's back as the woman soaks her pants with her tears. "Let it out, my love," she whispers, pulling some hair from the brunette's wet face.

"C–Cher..." bronze hands cling desperately at her tank top.

"I'm right here, TT. It's okay, I'm right here."

She doesn't even know the results yet but she just has a gut feeling that they aren't going to be good.

Life was going too well for me. It was a matter of time before things went to shit. Toni ponders.

Cheryl only comforts her the best she can, rubbing her back and massaging her scalp. Whispering words of reassurance. She doesn't know how long they've been sitting here but she does know that she wants to take her girl's pain away so badly.

Toni's crying subsides again, returning to little sniffles and stray tears. The athlete stares at nothing as she thinks of the different scenarios of how this day can end.

After a while, her eyes start to close and she drifts off to sleep for the first time in 48 hours. Cheryl stays in place and continues to play in her hair, trying to keep the brunette grounded for at least a moment.

She doesn't feel good about this either. After her girlfriend told her about Elaine's behavior, she's been doing research and none of the results were good. She knows whatever it is, it's chronic, meaning Elaine will have to live with it for the rest of her aging life.

At around one-thirty, the ginger woman lays Toni down and pulls a quilt over her. She presses a few kisses to her tear-stained cheeks and her stuffy nose before pulling back to admire her features. "I wish I can take all this pain away, my love."

Toni's phone ringing startles her. The brunette remains asleep so she quickly reaches over to retrieve it. Mikayla's contact takes over the screen and she bites her lip as she tries to quickly mute it.