chapter fourteen

❀ ❀ ❀

L U C Y

THE ROOM was warm when I walked in and the door dropped onto my shoulder. I heard the familiar sound of the television playing - some old soap opera show. Bucky followed closely behind me and I locked the door after we were both inside.

"My grandparents are home, come on, I'll introduce you." The living room was just off the small entrance way and I dropped my coat on the small table. "Babu, gramps, I'm home," I called out to them.

They were both sitting on the couch. My grandmother was knitting while my grandfather was reading the newspaper - from which decade, I wasn't so sure. He had a terrible habit of collecting newspapers and as his brain goes, he rereads them often. Pippin was sitting between them but at the sound of my voice, he trotted over with a happy tail.

"Pippin!" I cooed, scooping up the dog and cradling her in my arms. She immediately attacked my face with kisses and I laughed. "This is Pippin, Bucky. The love of my life." I told him.

"Oh, I didn't know you were bringing someone home." My grandmother said as she stood. "You should've told me, I would've put the kettle on."

I set the dog down and looked back at Bucky for a moment. "That's okay, we're just going to have some coffee. It's brick outside." I said. "This is my friend Bucky.

"It's nice to meet you, sweetheart," Babu said. She gave Bucky a hug that was unwanted on the man's part, but I noticed the way calm way he went about it. "And where did you two meet?"

"We met at the VA," I said. "He's also one of Steve's friends, you know, the guy that Natasha is dating?"

Her eyes widened with recognition and she nodded, "Alright, well, I hope that you guys enjoy your coffee. I will be here. I'm watching my soaps." She said.

After that, I led Bucky down the short hallway and into the kitchen. Afternoon sunlight streamed in through the windows so I left the lights off and went to the counter, starting to get ready to make some coffee.

The kitchen was on the messier side, something that was a rarity with my grandmother. She kept a neat house. There were some dirty dishes in the sink and crumbs along the counter. That meant my grandfather had come in and made a mess, my grandmother must not have come in yet. She was always cleaning up after him.

I sighed, pressed the brew button, and then went to the sink. "You can sit at the table. Are you hungry?" The water rushed out of the faucet and I quickly worked at washing the few dishes.

"Oh, no, I'm okay." He said, watchful blue eyes on me. I felt the back of my neck heat up a little at the intensity of his blue eyes.

The coffee was ready by the time I finished washing the few dishes, and after a small conversation about the way he liked his coffee - black - I sat down at the table across from him. I put a plate of cookies that my grandmother must have made either today or yesterday in front of him.