one of us ⸻ 017

Start from the beginning

"Did you come here just to scare my seamstress away, or was there an actual purpose?" I asked in annoyance.

Caius flitted over to me and took my hand, holding it tightly.

"I came to save you," He corrected, but his eyes were on the small, still bleeding wound on my finger. I saw his eyes go dark and it was then that I realized the entire room was filled with the scent of my blood.

"C-Caius," My eyes widened as he lifted my hand and brought the blood to his lip. Slowly, I felt his teeth lightly graze the wound and gasped. "Ow!"

I yanked my hand away as Caius quickly let go of me.

"What? Did I hurt you, Mia amora?" He asked worriedly. I simply glared at him as I shook the stinging pain out of my hand.

"No, you just bit me and it felt good!" I told him sarcastically, backing away. Caius relaxed when he saw that it wasn't really serious.

"You had me worried, Nadine," He scoffed as I ignored him and then sat on the overly decorated bed.

"Well it's not nice to bite people anyways," I told him. "Especially when they're still kinda sort human."

"That amount of venom won't effect you though," Caius said.

"Well then it's the thought that counts," I gave him a sarcastic smile.

Caius chuckled and after that whole escapade, I decided that I was done being poked for the day. Weather by fangs or needles, but so Caius suggested that we take a walk to have an excuse to get out of the room.

I was glad for one to be in fresh air. Air that didn't reek of my blood or expensive perfume.

It was was nice, being outdoors, and greeting everyone as I held onto Caius' arm.

I supposed we looked like a real King and Queen, with the way everyone seemed to cower at our presence and our over the top clothing.

I tried to keep my head high but I didn't like it; I didn't want people thinking I was high and mighty, or better than them. Because I wasn't, and truth be told neither was Caius.

I kept my opinions to myself as we walked around though. The further we got from the castle, the more I was able to see properly see it. And to say I was amazed at sheer beauty and architecture was a complete understatement.

"Why do they call it the 'Red Palace?" I found myself asking Caius, staring up at the stones that seemed to kiss the sky.

"Because, mia cara, more blood has been shed here than any other place on earth," He said simply.

I felt my eyes widen at the revelation, stopping to look at him in shock.

"Are you serious?" I gaped, not believing his words. He nodded.

"The history of the Khan Coven is more than just simple balls and fancy castles," Caius said. We found a spot just on the outskirts of the castle, near a gorgeous water fountain, and sat. I gave my full attention to Caius as he began explaining.

"Khan Coven has been around for a very long time," He began. "They are one of the only covens that outdated even us. And when we first came to rule, they, like many others, met us with resistance."