Chapter 47: Kailas

The Queen of Nyima covered her mouth. Lightning had struck the lands just outside the walls of Kingdom, leaving nothing but a single boy in its wake. A red shawl whipped about in the wind from his shoulders. She reached out and took the King's hand in her own. 

              "It is him," said the Queen, tears filling her eyes. "It is Kailas."

              "The prophecy has come true," said the King, feeling great love fill his heart.  

***

              Susant opened his eyes. Rain and thunder and lightning danced across the heavens. Before him stood the approaching army of the Empire. Thousands of soldiers were moving closer. The memories of the monastery were but quiet shadows in the back of his mind. Only purpose remained.

              The voice of the Queen was carried by the wind, and he felt the whisper of his true name fill his soul. Taking a deep breath, he closed his eyes, and the truth of his birth filled the minds of everyone in Nyima.

              "Yes." He smiled from his heart. "I am Kailas."

              He took a step. Then another, and wherever his feet touched down, flowers grew and blossomed. Kailas walked towards the army, walking past all the people of Nyima who had come out to defend their homeland. As he walked past the people, they could only watch him and the miracles that followed in wonder. They lowered themselves to their knees and bowed.

              As he walked past the Cobbler, he turned to look at him, smiling at the man that was his true father. A tear fell down his father's cheek as he watched him pass. "You are alive, my son."

              Kailas continued past all the people of Nyima, leaving a path of flowers in his wake. The soldiers of the advancing army had come to a stop. Thousands of them stood in awe as they watched the boy in the red shawl walking toward them. They felt in him no fear or anger. They felt nothing.

              Kailas came to a stop only twenty feet away from the front line of the army. Each and every one of them wore armor the color of midnight and wielded weapons so sharp that they could sever a man with one fell swoop. Their helms were adorned by sharp horns, and their faces were masked by shadow.

              The Emperor came forward on his great black beast, with a sword in a ruby clad sheathe hanging from his hip. He watched the boy who stood before his great army with true malice in his eyes, for the boy was proof that the blood of the gods flowed not only in the blood of the Empire's royal family.

              "Mala," said the Emperor, motioning to his General. "Kill him."

              Mala, his most trusted General, came forward but was hesitant. For a long moment, he stared at Kailas. Then he spoke. "This boy has the feeling of the gods, my lord. And he is unarmed. Surely, we should listen to what he has to say before killing him."

              The Emperor pulled his sword from its ruby clad sheathe as a flash of lightning illuminated the sky. "Mala, you would dare to disobey your Emperor?"

              "I mean you no harm," said Kailas, smiling softly at Mala. "I have come only to humbly ask you to return from whence you came. We seek only peace." He placed his hands together and bowed.

              Just then, one of the soldiers ran forward with a cry, his spear raised high. But just before he could reach Kailas and pierce his heart, Mala came before him, and without using his weapon, rendered his ally unconscious.

              "My own general dares to betray his own country!?" the Emperor bellowed. "This is blasphemy! Kill him, and the boy!"

              But the soldiers were silent, their fears unnerved. They all knew Mala to be a kind and compassionate man, and he was hardly ever without wisdom. They were torn between their obligations and their hearts.

              Mala stood with his head high before Kailas. Then he turned to face the thousand soldiers.

              "There is magic in this place," Mala spoke loud and true. "The gods have spoken, and they have spoken against our actions. We have all loyally followed the rule of the Royal Family for ages past, for they are the ones with the blood of gods flowing through their veins. It has been only them who have understood what was right and wrong in the world, and so we have followed."

              Mala looked at Kailas. "But no more. This boy is proof that the blood of gods exists in others. For did you not all witness the boy manifest himself out of lightning itself?" Mala turned back to face the people of his country. "So, ask yourselves . . . why continue to fight when the gods have shown us a new truth?"

              Mala looked at the Emperor of the world, then took a knee. "I would never raise arms against you, Raja, my friend. I am your most trusted companion, so please, hear me. I fear that in your eyes you see that I have betrayed you . . . but is it not you, who is betraying yourself? Betraying all that you believe to be true?"

              "I will have your head on a spear and decorated for all the Empire to remember," the Emperor snarled. "That is no god you stand beside, but a boy who has learned to trick your minds!"

               Mala shook his head. "No, I felt it in my heart the moment I saw him. He means us no harm. Besides, what boy leaves flowers growing in his footsteps?" He was quiet for a moment, then raised his voice so all the soldiers could hear him. "For a long time, I have felt in my soul that taking over Nyima was wrong, for it is the last free country in the world. There is a peace in this place, one deserving of our respect. Now, my feeling has manifested into truth. Open your hearts, my brethren. Can you not see what stands before you? Even when it stands before you as truth?"

              Another soldier ran forward to kill Kailas, but Mala struck him down, once again, without a fatal blow. A gust of wind followed, accompanied by the cry of an angry soldier. An arrow was let loose in the chaos, and it flew towards its fate, piercing the courageous Mala's heart.

              Mala had not tried to dodge or block the arrow. He had faced death with steadfast eyes. The brave General fell to his knees, feeling his heart beat slow. "We must . . . see with eyes unclouded, my comrades," he spoke his last words with grace, his eyes focused only on the Emperor. And so it was, that the man named Mala died on the grass before Nyima.

              Kailas walked toward Mala and leaned down, setting the man's hands over his chest. "Thank you, my friend. Your courage and your compassion for the truth will always be remembered, this I promise you." 

              The Emperor stepped down from his horse, brandishing his jewel inlaid sword. He came to within a few feet of Kailas and raised the tip of his sword between the boy's eyes. "His death was inevitable after betraying me. Something you will soon understand, boy. And now, I will prove to the world the power of the royal family, for I will kill what they think to be a god."

-----------------

Ahoy my friend! Thanks for reading The Monastery!

If you would like to meet the creators, artists and storytellers of this tale, see exclusive concept art from our cosmos, along with check out our other high-fantasy book/manga series, The Curseborn Saga, you are welcome to come join our Discord, which can be found through the Official Monastery Novel LinkTree!

We'd be honored to meet you! Take care, and peace!

https://linktr.ee/themonasterynovel