Chapter 12: The Mysterious Old Man

Susant looked up at the tall gates of Kingdom. The arch that opened up to the outside world was black as shadow, and he could see nothing beyond but the faint shape of rolling hills. The two moons of his world were hidden behind thick clouds, and without the light of them or the stars, it would be impossible to see anything at all.

"This is it, Susant," he said to himself. "Just take a few steps, and you'll finally get what you've always wanted, to leave this place." But no matter how long he stood there, he could not lift either of his feet. Fear had begun to creep into his being, and the sight of the dark was only more deterring.

As he stood there, he felt a flow of memories pass through him. The first time he had been allowed to sit in his father's chair in the workshop. The laughter of the children in the orphanage. The smile of the baker across the street, and the taste of his delicious bread.

For hours, Susant stood there, motionless and quiet. And every time he tried to lift his foot to take that first step, something from within the city would call out to him, reminding him that leaving might mean never coming back.

In the end, Susant did take a step, but it was back toward the city. His shoulders were slumped, his eyes dark and heavy. His soul was silent as a windless night. Utterly defeated, Susant retreated back into the city.

"I can't go back to the shop," whispered Susant. "After everything I said, how could I face him?" He sat down on a curb, leaning back on his palms. "But where am I supposed to go?" He bit his bottom lip. "Maybe this is why no one ever leaves Kingdom. Because they realize how hard it would be to live without it."

He heard the faint ringing of a bell across the street as a man walked out of a little café bar. Susant watched the man come to a stop and hold the door open. He could faintly hear the words coming out of his mouth.

"You closin' up shop soon?" the man asked to someone still inside the bar.

Susant watched as the barkeep walked up to the door. He eyed Susant for a quick second before shrugging.

"Not tonight," answered the barkeep. "I'll probably stay open another couple of hours. Who knows? Maybe someone will come wandering in." He looked up. "It's a dark night. I'm sure someone will be looking for some light."

Susant watched the first man nod and head off down the street. Realizing that he had nowhere to go, Susant got to his feet and headed over to the bar. He wasn't old enough to drink, but perhaps, if the barkeep was slow enough, he would let him sit in the back and drink some tea.

The bell rang again softly as Susant pushed open the door. Inside, the bar was fairly dark, lit here and there with a few candles. Behind the bar and polishing a glass was the barkeep, who eyed the young boy for a good, long moment.

"What can I do for you, lad?" he asked, continuing to wipe the glass.

"I was hoping I could sit somewhere quiet and drink some tea," Susant answered carefully, looking around. There wasn't a single person in the bar.

The barkeep eyed him curiously. "Just tea?"

Susant nodded.

The barkeep smiled. "Well, all right then. Nearly had me fooled. I thought you were trying to sneak yourself some spirits. Sometimes, I get some kids your age coming through, trying to pretend they're a little—"

The barkeep stopped, sensing Susant's emptiness through the look in his eyes.

"You alright, kid?"