T H I R T Y - F O U R

The rest of us are frozen to the ground it seems as Rose and Ward make their way into the front foyer. I managed to take a seat to the right, creating a greater distance between Topper and I. The action causing Rafe's features to visibly soften. 

"Hi sweetie" Rose coos, pulling me into her for a tight hug. 

The strong smell of some fancy perfume burns my nose. Just as she pulls away I'm met with the strong familiar smell of Rafe. His arms snaking around me, falling into their place at my hips like they were molded just for me. "Do we need to talk about this?" He urges, just above a whisper, his head tilted towards Topper ever so slightly making sure our parents didn't notice. I shook my head, tilting my head up to meet his eyes. He pecks my forehead before I catch a glance of Topper staring at us. 

"Let's go eat" I smile, though it doesn't reach my eyes and I know the Cameron boy noticed. He remains quiet though and pulls away taking my hand instead. 

"I've missed these family affairs" my mother beams, topping off her glass of wine. 

"Cheers to that! The island is not the same without the Miller family" Rose coos, feeding into my mothers ego. 

The Thorntons had been silent as dinner continued, Topper would glance at us from time to time. Rolling his eyes and laughing at all the same things Rafe and I did, almost as if this was his way at winning him back over. 

For the first time in a long time Sarah and I didn't speak. I was mad at her for reasons I couldn't explain. I didn't want to be taking Topper's side but here I was, believing every word of someone I hated a week ago. I just keep telling myself it's because of her track record already. 

"Madison, darling. We've barely heard from you" Dr. Thornton spoke, pulling me from my long train of thought. Her lips pressed tightly together as she flashed me a fake smile, the kind of smile people use while working in customer service. 

"I'm sorry" I start, "Things have been excellent, working hard on my business. I want everything to be perfect for the launch" I smile back. I know lying wasn't my brightest choice but I needed the heat off of me. 

"Ah yes! Your mother was telling me about that" she gleamed, this time a real smile reaching her softly wrinkled features. "I think it's wonderful, will help you keep that boy of yours there straight" he smile turning into one of disapproval as she took a glance at Rafe. 

I felt my stomach churn, knowing that aftermath that was soon to come. 

"Is there a problem?" Ward grits, placing his wine glass down rather hard onto my mothers white table cloth. Little droplets of the red mixture staining instantly. 

"No not at all, just saying Madison will be a better influence is all" she gloated.

I couldn't understand why Dr. Thornton was the one to boast me to the Cameron's. My mother and father had remained quiet through the whole exchange.

"Ward honey, it's okay she's right. Maddie is a wonderful addition to the family" I watched as Rose rubbed soft circles along Wards leg, whatever she was doing must be working because almost instantly his eyebrows relaxed and he sank back relaxing in his chair. 

"Well folks! Dinner has been great, let's head out by the fire shall we?" My father was the first to stand up as he spoke, motioning everyone out towards the back yard where the outside fire pit was. 

All the other parents filed out behind him. Rose made sure she was last to file out, leaning into me and whispering "Please don't let Rafe get worked up" before pulling me in for a hug. She was out the door before I knew it and silence took over yet again. 

"What did she want?" Rafe uttered, a displeased look covering his face. 

"Just said have fun, and be safe" I lied.

"I would swear she likes you more than us" Sarah spat, her attitude only becoming worse as the night went on. 

Topper shot me a glance before he opened his mouth. I wish I would have had enough time to beg him to stop. But it was too late, he had taken his place in the center of the game room and this was happening right now. 

"Alright listen, Rafe bro, I love you man alright? The shit with Mads is behind us, she loves you. You love her. I'm sorry I was a dick" his eyes didn't meet the Cameron boy as he spoke but his apology must've meant something to Rafe because he instantly relaxed his grip on my hand. 

"Love you man" Rafe practically whispered, like he was afraid someone would hear him. 

He turned his head my way before he continued, this time his voice much lower. "But I love you more, baby" he cooed, barely kissing my lips.

"Sarah" 

"Don't even start man, I'm not here for this shit" John B says, stopping him. 

"Hear me out" The Thornton boy practically pleaded. 

"2 minutes. Don't fuck it up" His voice was angry, but I could only imagine the anger he was going to be feeling after he "heard Topper out".

Sarah was quiet, almost too quiet. Her blonde hair laid down around her shoulders as she sank further and further down into the couch with each word spoken between the boys. I sent her a look to let her know I knew before Topper started his speech. The look she sent back made me think she was going to be sick. I wanted my heart to ache for her, but I couldn't be okay with what she was doing. 

"I did text Sarah that night, and I did want to meet up with her, but you have to know she had been messaging me long before" John B's glare turned from Topper to Sarah midway through his first statement. I was waiting for him to speak but he never did. 

"I shouldn't have fell for the shit man, and I'm sorry you're even involved. I just want my friends back, I want to party and have a good time and not worry about one of you trying to beat my ass" he almost chuckled. Sending his first smile my way; this caused Rafe's grip to tighten but with every small circle my thumb rubbed, his anger subsided. 

A flash of relief washed over Sarah's face as she realized Topper wasn't going to make this any bigger of a deal than it was right now. 

John B looked mad, but instead turned to Topper and said "It'll take time man, but I guess we gotta start somewhere" 

I wasn't expecting all this to subside as quick as it had, but all I knew is I had all of my friends back in one place and for tonight I was thankful. 

We all cuddled up on the couches, Sarah had randomly picked a movie and we were all now invested. Just like old times, minus John B of course. "Hey I gotta take this" Rafe's voice was uneasy like he was contemplating with himself if he should even take the call. Sarah and Topper shot me a look as Rafe stepped out of the room, not even waiting on my response. 

The butterflies in my stomach halted and a wave of sickness took its place when my mind rushed to who it could be. I still didn't fully trust him and I don't know if I ever could. 

___________________________________________________________________________

I hate this chapter too, but I love you guys and It's all needed for the story to keep making sense. 

Don't forget to Comment & Vote! 

We are almost at 50K like how!? 

-B