T W E N T Y - S I X

JJ's face dropped before turning to meet mine again, somehow he was the only other one that had seen what I just saw. Though here we all were, standing in this group. Rafe's arm wrapped tightly around my waist. His long warm fingers gripping at my hip bone as he caught sight of JJ, looking me up and down. What Rafe didn't know though was, JJ was not checking me out at all, he was searching me high and low for any ounce of emotion or reaction to the scene that just unfolded in front of us. 

I felt my mind rushing and jumping to conclusions though at the end of it all... I felt crazy. Better yet Rafe was making me crazy. How could he be wrapped around her one minute and then be back openly on me in the next. I know she saw me, by the way her thin lips curvd5 m90mjm0med into a smirk as she turned to walk away. She knew how to take every bit of confidence I held and smash it to the ground, crashing into a million little pieces right in front of me.

"Is there a problem Maybank?" Rafe says, pulling me from my thoughts. It didn't take long for him to notice my change in attitude though. His grip on my hip lightening as he began to turn to me. 

"No problem here, Mr. Cameron" JJ mumbles out, not worrying about the feelings the Cameron boy had what so ever. 

At this point the whole group now had their eyes on me, all their faces laced with questioning looks; that was except JJ of course. 

Soft lips touch my ear, sending the all too familiar chills down to my toes. 

"Are you okay, Babe?" he whispers, only loud enough for us to her. Placing a soft kiss to my temple soon after. 

"I'm fine" short and sweet, but I did my best to keep the emotion out of my words. Sending him a sweet smile followed by a kiss to the corner of the Cameron boy's mouth. 

"You really have no self esteem any more do you?" every ones heads turning to meet the words.

My heart sinks. 

"I've never seen one person cry so many damn tears over a person that literally can not do anything wrong in their eyes. He's a fucking drug addict Maddie! He's a cheater, he's a manipulator. What the hell is wrong with you" Though the last part came out as a statement and not a question. 

The scene was something out of those movies. The music halts to a stop and all eyes are on you, though that's not exactly how it happened; that's exactly how it felt and now here I was 'most' eyes on me and honestly I didn't know how to respond. 

"Last time I checked, it wasn't any of your business" Rafe spits a response, though I would much rather he have kept his mouth shut now. 

"Guys, can we not do this here?" I plead, no attention was paid to me though. It was the heat of the moment and neither one of them was going to stop until someone could be crowned the victor. 

"You'd rather stand around and look like a dumbass Maddie? He just had his arms around another girl. One that let me remind you, he always gets rid of you for" All eyes were now on JJ, the realty of what had just happened clicking in everyone's brains. 

Kie's face formed an 'O' shape as she quickly turns to meet me, mumbling a strew of things but all my focus is on the feeling of Rafe's body leaving my own. 

He starts to pace, uttering words that I can't make out as he tries to come up with a reasonable thing to say. "Just admit it man, you fucked up" JJ's tone returns to one of reason. Kie and Sarah now have me wrapped up, one on each of my sides just as Rafe begins to speak. 

"I would never, and I mean never cheat on MY Maddie. I'- I've worked too hard for the woman just to have some low life fucking Pouge think he can take her from me"  His tone was low but his words sounded genuine, my heart rate quickening as I realize he still hasn't addressed the main issue. 

Emily.

"If you guys wanna talk about me, maybe you should keep you voices down." Her words seeping out like venom. My chest tightens at the sound, thought the new sight of her made all the things I was keeping spew out without warning. 

"Listen, I'm glad everyone likes to speak on my behalf but what I do and who I do is of no one's concern but my own. Emily, babe, I'm glad you could make it to the party you specifically were not invited to, but now that you're here I would love if you could avoid touching MY boyfriend. You know considering I was nice enough to do that for you. I came out here to have a good night and forget all this shit but if all you guys want to do is fight and complain the entire time then I'll see myself out" my calm tone remaining as I made my final statement and with that I was spinning on my heels, the girls following closely behind me. Emily and Rafe's mouths were set agape as I made my final eye contact on the way to the HMS Pouge. 

Within minutes the boat was started up and Kie was pushing us away from the dock. I look up to see the faces of two boys I had to come to love more than I would ever admit.

Rafe and JJ.

"She asked me to talk you know, that was those texts. I told her it was done for good this time and she hugged me, I meant it when I said I was gonna give you the world one day Maddie. I- I just don't know why you can't see that" his voice echoed out across the water as his parting speech was heard throughout the party. My heart breaking at the sound of the hurt in his voice. 

"I'm sorry Mads" JJ mirrored, sending one last glance our way before turning to head back to the mix of the party. 

JJ places his hand on Rafe's shoulder and though I know there was an exchange of words, we were no longer close enough to hear. 

"Sorry about all that Mad's" Sarah spoke, making the turn into the marsh. Knowing this wouldn't be a long trip. 

"I'm not mad, I just couldn't stand those boys fighting over dumb shit anymore. It's constantly something with them. Just needed a moment with my girls alone for once." This earned a chuckle from both Kie and Sarah. 

"We know what you mean! It's 'the boys' all the time, I'm so tired of hearing about who can lift more, you guys don't even know" Kie's laugh becoming contagious. 

"Maybe this party wasn't a bust after all girls" Sarah piped in, nodding her head towards the distance. 

There sat, Pope, JJ, John B, and believe it or not Rafe, all laughing and drinking on the dock while the party boomed around them. 

"Maybe there is hope for them after all" I laugh, pulling Sarah and Kie into my sides. 

It wasn't long before all of our phones binged at the same time, indicating we were all receiving the same message. 

We can see you guys, and that was so dramatic Mads I don't even know what to say to you. Plz come back now love, JB

-John Booker 

"I guess we ought to head back, nice while it lasted though my ladies" I smile sending a kiss to both of their cheeks.

Kie starts the small boat back up, driving us to our destination.

Within seconds of my feet landing on the cool wood of the dock I was swept off my feet and up over the shoulder of none other than Rafe Cameron himself. "Let's go beautiful" he hums. The thumping of his steps causing me to bounce up and down off his shoulder. 

"Bye ladies!" I yell dramatically blowing kisses to the two girls that were growing smaller with each step "Oh and bye boys" I yell putting my arms back down on Rafe's back, causing them to giggle. 

A few more foot steps and my feet are met with the soft dirt below me, my back is now softly met with the cool metal of Rafe's truck door. His lips crashing into mine in an instant and the warm feeling filling the pit of my stomach once again. 

"I love you" 

He spoke, his words soft and fragile. 

"and I love you" 

_____________________________________________________________________________

Hi friends! 

I've been trying to make chapters longer so bare with me!

Don't forget to Vote & Comment! 

Also thank you guys for 17k reads 

-B