The Chrysanthemum Insanity

When Tia left to run some errands for her, Catalina called Cisco to her office. It’s a new day and she was unable to bid the fish goodbye last night because of some reports she needed to check for the sake of the new business venture.

The bodyguard arrives at her door in a few seconds. He opens the door slightly to pop his head in. "You called for me, miss?"

“Come in, Cisco,” she sternly says, glancing at him before returning to working on her desktop.

The bodyguard quietly enters the room, carefully closing the door behind him. He walks to stand in front of her desk and patiently waits for her to speak.

Finally, she huffs out a sigh in defeat and places her palms on her desk to push herself up. “Listen,” she begins, peering straight into his eyes, “What I am about to ask you is something that you must not tell anyone. I will kill you if you tell the other guards and I will have your friends murdered if you tell Tia. Have I made myself clear?”

Cisco knows it is best to not question her. Though he had to admit that she can come off as intimidating even if he physically towers over her. “Yes, Miss Catalina,” he simply answers.

She suddenly exhales a shaky breath. “Here it goes,” she mutters to herself. Even if Cisco heard her, he did not make a comment. She clears her throat and asks in the most serious way possible, “Cisco, do you know how to unblock a number on your phone?”

Cisco thought he heard her wrong. “I-I’m sorry, miss, is this code for some kind of bribery contract that I am not aware of?”

“No,” she replies curtly. “Take my question at face value. Do you know how to unblock a number?” She repeats impatiently.

“Yes, I do, miss. You go to the number listed in your contacts and press ‘Edit’--”

“I know how to unblock a number,” Catalina interjects. “I just…” she paused, feeling humiliated over what she is about to say, “needed some kind of validation for what I am about to do.”

Cisco kept quiet, but deep inside he wanted to know what she meant. When his boss exited suite three last night, her face displayed no emotions. He assumed that she was in deep thought and was in no mood to engage in a conversation.

"Do you need my assistance with anything else, miss?"

She shakes her head. "Thank you. You may now leave."

He bows his head without a word and in silence, leaves her office. She lets out this breath she was unconsciously holding and her head droops down listlessly.

“What am I doing?” Catalina grumbled. “Why am I thinking so hard over something so trivial?” Through the corner of her eyes, she spots her phone sitting idly beside her desktop keyboard. It’s so near her and she wouldn’t need a lot of effort to reach out and grab it. Her thoughts were all over the place – thoughts that seem so unlike her. This isn’t like me to get so worked up over unblocking a number!

Realization sinks in her when begins to think that she isn’t herself because she’s aware of who is at fault. It’s her.

She refused to give him a chance and now that she’s ruminated over the thought too much, it has come stronger and wiser to consume her.

Che cavolo!” She finally reaches over to grab her phone and open her contacts. In her ‘Recents’, the last unknown number she called is definitely the one she blocked. She does the whole process to unblock the fish’s number. Even she made the effort to save his number under the name, “The fish.”

“There!” She places her phone back on her desk and raises her hands in mid-air as if surrendering. “I did it! Now, stop thinking about him, Nina.”