The Hyperacidic Flirt

Catalina didn’t have to wait long for Domenico to come out of the bathroom. It was the man, though, who was pleasantly surprised to see her standing at the side of the corridor. “Miss Catalina?”

She rolls her eyes. “My siblings left.”

“Darling,” he says after, reverting to his usual self around her. 

“Yeah, yeah, hello to you too,” she mutters. Remember, Catalina, her brother’s words play in her head once again, Domenico Cavallini’s suite is number three. I’m sure you won’t get lost in finding it. And don’t forget to be accommodating. I beg of you.

Domenico tilts his head slightly. The corners of his mouth twitch up to form a small smile. “I’m in a state of euphoria seeing you here with me again,” he admits. 

Catalina thought that he was going to bring up the conversation between her and her siblings moments ago, but then again the man has a weird set of priorities…because on top of that list is her. “Enough with all the flattery.”

Domenico furrows his brows at her. “I am not flattering you, darling. I only speak the truth.”

She lets out an exhausted breath and says, “Come on. Let's get the tour over and done with, okay?”

“I’d rather stay here and talk with you.”

“Fish, you heard my brother.” 

“What I heard was that I could choose if I wanted to have a tour, yet I want to talk with you.” He takes a few steps to the side to lean against the smooth wall lined with matte wallpaper. He shoves a hand in his left pocket and tries his luck by inching a bit closer to Catalina. To his surprise, she doesn’t move away. 

“If you want my opinion, you shouldn’t be wasting your time with me. Go back to the ballroom and talk with others.” She eyes him from head to toe, catching sight of some beads of sweat forming on top of his forehead. 

“Who said that I was wasting my time? I’m enjoying this, darling. I’m not wasting my time at all. Think of this as…” he pauses for a moment, “our ‘talking’ stage,” he suddenly breathes out heavily. Catalina thinks that it’s a ruse for him to seduce her, trying to act all nonchalant yet sexy and all that crap. 

She scoffs, “Talking? Come on, we’ve done more than talk.” She then started to feel unaccustomed to this sensation she was feeling on her face. It was then she realized that she was blushing. How embarrassing to blush in front of the fish! “Talking, yeah right – what the heck are you saying?!” She bursts out. 

Domenico was unfazed by her raising her voice at him. He found it cute to see her try to bother him. He knows that he would never feel bothered by her. He chuckles. “Well, you said it, not me. We’re past the talking stage. Where are we now, then? The courting stage?” He then lets out a sharp exhale and groans softly under his breath. 

“Courting?!” Catalina sputters. “Why would you–” she stops, watching how he’s steeling himself against the wall for support. She regards him skeptically. “Are you okay?”

“Yes,” he replies curtly, “I’m fine.” He breathes out slowly through his mouth then the smile on his face returns. “Now, where were we–argh,” he groaned deeply, his arm flying to clutch the upper area of his abdomen. 

“Okay, you do not look fine to me at all!” Catalina utters hastily in a growing concern.

“Darling, I’m just feeling a bit of pain.” He waves in dismissal. “Oh, maybe kiss me to take away all the–” he stops and lets out a strangled whisper as he finishes, “pain.”