Chapter 1 ( A normal day in Gotham)

Martha's POV
*Beep
*Beep
*Beep
"Ughhhh" I groaned as I tried to get my tried body out of bed. Great another morning in Gotham. "Mars! Your going to be late, time to get up!" I heard my mom call. I dragged my body to pull out a black hoddie and black ripped jeans. I brush my teeth, brush my hair, and put on some makeup. I walk into the tiny kitchen of mine and moms apartment. " Morning Ma" I said tiredly. " Morning baby, do you want me to ride with you to school?" She asked kissing my head and putting two chocolate chip pancakes in front of me. ( my favorite).

I look at my mother as she goes to feed our many many cats. I always wonder how we managed to get by. In a cramped apartment with cats and living in the city with the worst crime ever. I admire my mother, she is a single mom taking care of a kid, cats, and paying the bills. I wonder why my father left her. She doesn't like to talk about him, so I never ask. But how could he leave a compassionate, kind, and selfless woman. "Mars?" My mom said as I'm pulled away from my thoughts

"Sure, by the way I'm going to be late coming home tonight I have to study after school with Liz." I answered
" ok" she said sitting down next to me at the table " I'm going to be out late tonight, so make sure you grab something for dinner on your way home ok?" " ok ma" I said. I get up from the table after finishing my pancakes, I put my dish in the sink and go to grab my bag from my room. I look outside my window to see people running to get to their jobs and to try and catch a taxi.

My name is Martha Maria Kyle, and this is a normal day in Gotham

I got my name from my fathers mother is what my mom told me. My middle name from her mother. My mom and friends call me Mars because when I was little my mom would say " Reach for Mars instead of the Stars , because Mars is closer yet no one has been there yet." I live by that quote every day. I'm a student at Gotham High School NOT the academy. That school is for the rich kids of Gotham like the Wayne brothers. But I'm pretty smart I have a 4.1 GPA. I plan on getting a scholarship after high school and going to college so I can get me and my mom out of Gotham. I told my mom that, but she only said she tried to leave Gotham but she said she could never leave because the city was her roots.

I hop on my bike and put on my helmet. My mom dose the same. We both start our engines and pull out of the parking garage under our building.
We drive past the buildings that look like blurs. We pass a limo with a old man driving with two boys in the back. One of them stares at me like he knows me but I don't pay attention to it. As we reach my school I pull into the parking lot and pull off my helmet.

" Do you have your lunch?" My mom says pulling off her helmet. I check my bag and realized I left it at home. I was about to answer when she pulls out a paper bag from her backpack. "Don't look so surprised, I know you would have probably left it." I grabbed it saying a quick thanks to my mom. She gives me a hug goodbye and whispers in my ear " I love you be safe." "Be safe" I thought what did she mean. I said my goodbyes and watched as my mother put her helmet on and drive away on her bike. I wondered what she meant about that statement since she had never said that to me before.

"MARSSSSS" I heard a familiar voice yell
I turn me head and see my best friend Liz Carter
"LIZZZZZ" I yell back with the first smile on my face today
" Girl, I can't I'm gonna die." She exclaims dramatically throwing her arms on me. I chuckle at her antics. " Tim drake is going to be the death of me!" She exclaims as she shows me his latest post on Instagram. I roll my eyes she has been obsessed with that boy since she was born. " wow oh my god." I reply uninterested. The bell rings and we walk into the sad building we call school. She continues to ramble about his " hottness" I look over my shoulder with an uneasy feeling. Something about this day is off.

Selina POV

As I drive away from my daughters school I hurriedly drive to Gotham Academy. I pray I'm not to late. I see the black limo pulling away I drive as quick as I can't to reach it probably braking at least 50 traffic laws. I meet the limo up to the next light. I quickly knock on the window of the driver. The man looking startled I then flip the viser on my helmet up and point to a cafe.
The man looks at me with wide eyes and a shocked expression. He knows who I am. When the light changes we both turn right and park on the side of the cafe. He gets out and locks his car coming up to me with a serious yet concerned face.
"Ms. Kyle what are you doing here ?" He says in British voice.
"We need to talk." I reply with a bit of fear in my voice.
We are now in the cafe I ordered a black coffee and The man ordered tea.
"Alfred, I need to tell you something very important but you can not let Bruce know until something very bad happens." I tell him. He looks at me with concern but he nods his head. 
"Ok. So when I left all those years ago I should have mentioned that I was pregnant." He drops his spoon he was stirring his tea with and people around us stare in curiosity. I continue ". . . Yes it is Bruce's child. She is the most important thing in my life Alfred. I came back to Gotham two years after I had her. I loved her so much I gave up a life of crime so she could have a normal one. I didn't want to tell Bruce because I was afraid of how he would react." " i can understand that. How old is she?" He asked " she is 16, I would have never bothered you until now but I'm afraid that something bad will happen." " What do you mean?" He questioned. "Two nights ago I got a call from Harley Quinn saying she knows that I'm back and have a daughter. She also said that the Joker wants me to steal the biggest jewel in Gotham." " The Gotham Diamond?! That diamond is priceless and not to mention the heart and soul of the city." He said surprised " I'm aware." I replied looking down. " you don't have to steal it. You have a new life in Gotham, you have a daughter." He said grabbing my hand. I looked at him with tears threatening to fall down my eyes. " I don't have a choice. Joker w-will kill her." He looked at me with fear in his eyes. "I need you to promise me if anything happens to me that my daughter will be taken care of by Bruce." He nodded. I grab the DNA test and brith certificate of Martha and handed them to Alfred. " these are DNA test and her birth certificate in case Bruce won't believe me." He glances over them. He then smiles when he sees her name. "Martha?" He questioned.  I smiled back saying " I loved Bruce and still do. I wanted to honor his mother by naming my daughter after her late grandmothers."I stand up to leave and I look at him for the last time and say " Goodbye Alfred."
As I get on my bike and drive off. I pray to God that Bruce will take her in. I feel awful that I never told him about Martha but it was for her protection and his.