Chapter 1

"Rody! Come inside!"

"Coming, Mama!"

Rody took one last look at the rolling fields before him before turning around to run back home. He and his mother lived in a small wooden cottage on the outskirts of Hyrule. Surrounding it were fields and more fields, and some forests facing the border.

"Mama, when can I go and be a hero, like the heroes in my storybooks?" Rody asked while he poked at his eggs.

Early morning sunshine shown through the windows, illuminating the house. Rody's mother looked up from the story she was reading. "Honey you're eleven years old. And you haven't finished your training yet. As a matter of fact, why don't you go practice?"

Rody quickly gobbled up the rest of his breakfast before grabbing his spellbook and heading outside. He ran across the porch and leaped into the soft grass, soon arriving at the Lookout Rock. Rody had given it that name because if you looked at the exact right angle, you could see the peak of Hyrule Castle in the distance. It was his dream to become an adventurer, a hero, and fight evils.

"Someday I'll be there," he told himself.

He flipped open his book to page 265 and cleared his throat. "Anak Nu," he held his arms up in the air. "Yana Deluma Nat!"

To Rody's dismay, the spell to summon a fairy of darkness had failed.

His mother had been pleasantly surprised when she found out her infant son bore magic abilities, but that soon changed when realized it was dark magic. So she moved the two from the city to the wide, open plains, away from society, so Rody could learn to use his abilities for goodness instead of evil. She taught him everything she knew and even gave him her spell book. He always wondered why she knew so much about magic and kept a spell book. Whenever he asked she's say "I learned from a friend" or "It's basic knowledge."

This time, Rody knelt on the earth, his head lowered and eyes closed, and proceeded to say the spell. "Anak Nu Yana Deluma Nat!"

A puff of smoke revealed a small, jet black fairy surrounded by a purple glow. "Hello!" she said. "My name is Nyla. May I ask why you have summoned me?"

Rody gasped in astonishment. He had done it! "I'm Rody, a wizard in training. I was just practicing a spell. Someday I'm gonna be an adventurer, and I won't need my spell book. Heck, I won't even need to SAY spells!"

Nyla landed on Rody's shoulder. "That's wonderful!" she exclaimed. "I'm also working on my magic. Maybe we can practice together sometime."

Rody never practiced with (or met for that matter) another magic user since they were so rare. He immediately agreed.

Nyla studied Rody carefully. "What's your hero name?"

Rody looked at the fairy questioningly.

"You know, a name you go by instead of your real one. You should make one! After all, you are a wizard, Rody."

A wizard, Rody the young wizard thought. Wizzro

"How about Wizzro?"

"Wizzro," Nyla said cheerfully. "That's a great name! See you later Wizzro!"