3-8: The Battle of Starcourt

The screams and sobs of El were deafening. No one was exactly sure what to do to help, but we knew we needed to do something, and fast. 

"What is that?" Erica questioned as she stared at the worm-like movement under El's skin.

"There's something in there." Mike said, holding onto El's hand.

"Jesus Christ." Dustin muttered as he stared at her leg, the movement growing. Jonathan suddenly stood up and began running off.

"Keep her talking. Keep her awake, okay?" He told us before he ran off quickly across the mall. Mike nodded at him as he disappeared.

"Hey, hey, hey. Stay awake, stay awake. Let's get her on this side, on this side." Mike directed, and Dustin and Steve helped move El. "Easy, easy, easy." 

"You know, it's not actually that bad. There was a... The goalie on my soccer team, Beth Wildfire, this other girl slid into her leg, and, like, the whole bone came out of her knee. Six inches or something, it was insane." Robin spat out of nervousness, trying to make the situation better.

"Robin." Steve spoke up.

"Yeah?" She asked, turning towards him.

"You're not helping." He bluntly told her and focused back towards El.

"I'm sorry." She muttered as Jonathan came rushing back. 

"Okay. All right, El?" El lifted her head to look at Jonathan.  That's when I noticed he had a knife in his hand that looked to be burnt at the tip. "This is gonna hurt like hell, okay?" 

"Okay." El choked through sobs.

"I need you to stay real still." He put on some sandwich gloves before handing El a wooden spoon. "Here, you're gonna want to bite down on this, okay?" 

"Jesus Christ." Dustin muttered as El put the spoon between her teeth, whimpering. Jonathan held the knife above the gash in her leg, the worm inside moving around. 

"Holy shit." I mumbled before looking away, feeling nauseous. 

"Do it." Mike nodded, and Jonathan began cutting her leg with the knife. Eleven let out an ear-piercing scream that was muffled by the spoon. Her leg began bleeding heavily as the cut made a squelching noise, and the pus around it bubbled. 

I put a hand up to my mouth, finding it hard to watch as Jonathan made a gash across her leg. El sobbed and screamed as Jonathan set the knife down on the ground and hovered his fingers over the new cut. Jonathan closed his eyes and took a deep breath before he dug his fingers inside of her leg, the blood around it squirting out. The group watching all exclaimed and groaned at the sight, somehow not ready to watch that go down. The worm in her leg danced around frantically, trying to avoid Jonathan's fingers. Eleven screeched in pain and whimpered, and I shut my eyes as I couldn't continue watching anymore. 

"Jonathan!" Nancy shouted at him as Jonathan continued to try and dig out the worm. 

"Stop talking!" He quickly said back, trying to focus on the task at hand. Eleven continued wailing and screaming with the stick in her mouth, and I opened my eyes to see Jonathan shove his fingers into her leg farther. 

"Stop!" Nancy yelled at him and Eleven spat out the spoon.

"No! Stop it! Stop! Stop!" She begged, and Jonathan took his fingers out of her leg. She sobbed as she slowly sat up and grunted. "I can do it. I can do it." Mike and Steve held onto her so she wouldn't fall back, and El panted heavily while she stared at her leg. She held her hand out to it and began grunting and wailing as the creature in her leg squelched around, struggling to get out. "God!" Eleven screeched, the creature coming closer to the gash. El began screaming loudly, her hand shaking as the wound grew large, and a bloodied and fat worm-like thing emerged from her leg slowly.