1-2: The Weirdo on Maple Street

I found myself back at the third kids house, who eventually I figured his name was Mike. We had sneaked in while his parents were sleeping and crept down into his basement. The girl that was in the forest was given a jacket to warm up and sat on a brown couch, breathing heavily. 

"Is there a number we can call for your parents?" Mike asked her, and she simply just looked up at him as if she didn't understand. 

"Where's your hair? Do you have cancer?" Dustin asked nonchalantly. I smacked his arm and he turned to me and stuck his tongue out. 

"Did you run away?" Lucas asked in a soft tone. 

"Are you in some kind of trouble?" Mike continued. 

"Is that blood?" Lucas asked, reaching out to touch her. Mike quickly smacked his hand to stop him.

"Stop it! You're freaking her out!" 

"She's freaking me out!" Lucas argued.

"Guys! You're probably making her feel overwhelmed. Give her some space, would you? Jesus, you're all hopeless." I scoffed at their rudeness and gave the girl a small smile. "Do you have a name?" When she didn't respond, I didn't feel the need to push her into giving me an answer. 

"I bet she's deaf." Dustin added in on the conversation. He quickly clapped at her, to which the girl flinched back into the cushion. "Not deaf." He shrugged. 

"Alright, that's enough, alright? She's just scared and cold." Mike stopped the boys and walked back further into the basement and over to a laundry basket. The thunder rumbled, making the girl flinch in fear. I felt bad for her and I wanted to give her a hug, or maybe just a gesture to showed that I cared. It seemed to me that she wouldn't even recognize it, though. Mike came back to her with a pair of fresh clothes. "Here, these are clean. Okay?" 

The girl took the clothes and looked at them, confused and unsure. She touched the clothes to her cheek briefly before she dropped them on the couch beside her. She took off her jacket and stood up, beginning to try to take off the shirt. The boys all began shouting and Mike stopped her from going further. "No, no, no!" 

"Oh, my God. Oh, my God." Dustin walked away, his hands in the air in surrender position. 

"See over there?" Mike pointed. "That's the bathroom." He stammered through his words a bit. "Privacy. Get it?" He looked back at the girl who looked confused. I sighed and shook my head at them.

"Here." I said to the girl. I held out my hand to her, offering her to take it. "I'll help you." 

While she didn't take my hand, she nodded and picked up the clothes from the couch. She went over to the bathroom and waited for me to go in with her. I followed the girl and began to shut the door behind me before she stopped me. "You don't want it closed?" I asked her, and she shook her head.

"No." Was all she said, but it was enough for me to nod and keep the door open a little bit. 

"Is that better?" I asked, and she nodded. 

"Yes." Her voice was pretty monotone. 

She turned and looked around in the bathroom, taking in the surroundings as if she had never seen one like it before. I turned the light on and she began to take off her shirt once more once the boys weren't watching. I looked at the clothes that Mike had given her and shook my head. It wasn't anything nice, but it was better than walking around in cold, wet clothes. 

"This is mental." I heard Dustin say from the other room.

"At least she can talk." Mike added. 

"She said "no" and "yes." Your three-year-old sister says more." Lucas argued. I came to the conclusion that he liked to argue often with his friends.