We walked as close as we dared. I expected him to tell me if things were bad for his family, but he stayed silent and my worries grew.

"What's happening?" I muttered under my breath. "No one knows anything out here and I couldn't ask anyone, anyway."

Though no one watched us, Richard kept a smile on his face as if all the eyes of court were on us. "My sister has retired to her estates. We speak nothing of it, as if that will make the disgrace vanish. But everyone knows."

Nothing could destroy a woman faster than this kind of scandal. Only the king's stepmother had survived a similar fall, but that was because her royal lover eventually married her. Most women would suffer shunning and would be fortunate if they escaped the condemnation of the Church.

I refused to feel sorry for a woman who continued to make my life miserable. "A shame for her."

"I know you hate her," Richard said. "I've had moments when of rage at her. But... she's all alone now. Do you know how her husband died?"

I nodded. "He tried to assassinate King Henry and restore the last king. He was beheaded for his treason."

Birds chirped in the distance. Their merry song made an unsettling contrast to our macabre conversation. The disturbing conversation also brought back the day Mama told me about the execution. I was only eleven at the time and she wanted me to understand the danger of defying the Lancaster king. The grave consequences hadn't hit me as much as the absurdity. A man had been executed for treason because he had been loyal to the previous king.

What if the Lancaster king was overthrown and his supporters were executed by the next king?

I picked up my skirts to avoid a rather muddy area, though I was probably fighting a losing battle when it came to maintaining my clothing. "Forgive me, Sir Richard. It's a shame your sister suffered such a loss, but that won't make me change my opinion on her."

Richard stopped by his chestnut horse and turned his attention to him. "That's not the whole story."

I dusted off my skirt. "There's always more."

"My brother Edward told King Henry of the scheme," Richard said in a hushed tone. "He's the reason she's widowed. He's the reason the last king was never restored."

I sucked in a breath. "I've never heard of it."

"Almost no one knows." Richard's shoulders tightened. "My sister only told me now. It seems my family always makes things worse for yours."

So much worse. If the scheme had succeeded, the Lancaster King would be dead. The old king would sit on the throne and my brother would be the acknowledged heir.

I would be a princess in every way that mattered.

The squawking of a nearby chicken destroyed that fantasy. Dust and dirt smudged the edges of my kirtle and my old life never seemed farther away. I fought back my old anger at the Yorks. They weren't the only cause of my misery, but they were a safer target for my ire.

Fury at a king could only lead to death.

Richard's head slumped a bit, as if he expected my rage at his family. While it frustrated me that he was still helping his sister, I couldn't resent him for it. His compassion and honor only made me love him more.

"The past can't be helped," I said. "I suppose we have to keep playing the game. Unless you're ready to give up?"

He spun around, a touch of deviltry gleaming in his eyes. "Never. I'm sure we can still do this! We'll win this game yet."

His unwarranted optimism almost made me giggle. "Then what is your move?"

He rubbed his hands together. "I'm going to keep trying with Prince Hal. I believe that he found the business with Lady Lucia distasteful. The way his father abandoned her and then insisted your uncle marry her at the expense of another woman's reputation. And I believe he still cares about your family. He visited your brothers."

That news brought more worry to me than Richard had probably intended. I leaned closer, clasping my hands. "Are they all right?"

He blinked at my almost shrill tone before understanding dawned on his face. "They are in perfect health. No matter what you think of his father, Prince Hal is a man of honor."

I had quite a few doubts about that last part. "He used me to convince them to stay loyal to the Lancasters. The prince will always put his family first."

"That's to be expected," Richard said in a reasonable tone. "But he intends to release the lads when he's king. He ask after you. I know he wants better for you."

"Then keep trying with him." I hugged myself, though I wished it was Richard hugging me. "Although with this new scandal, I think we might have to wait longer."

"No." He shook his head. "I won't make you wait forever. I wager that by Christmas, we'll stand before the priest."

I was almost jealous of his hopeful confidence. The only time I had seen him uncertain was when my uncle's marriage had been threatened. My brooding must have been obvious because as he led his horse out, he leaned forward and kissed my cheek as the animal blocked us from anyone who might see. I clamped my mouth before I could let out a delighted cry and he gave me a merry wink as he mounted his horse.

"Farewell, Lady Anne," he said in a formal way.

Then he rode off, leaving me a little more optimistic about the future.