Alyssa

Chapter 7:

Alyssa

   As the weeks went by, Brad continued to come into Jancy's. It was always nice to see him. Eventually, he learned my lunch schedule and would have lunch with me. 

   "Hi, Brad." I smiled. 

   "Hey, Lyssy." He sat next to me at the bar.

   After my shift, we sat at a booth and did our homework together. He's in the special ed department at Calgary U. We had been doing this for about a week now. Fred and Hunter would often tease me about it. According to Hunter, I blush when I talk about Brad. I really can't see what he's talking about.

   "Hey, Brad." I began as I put my books in my bag. "Want to come over and watch a movie tonight?"

    He smiled big and nodded. I helped him out of the diner and onto the tram and we made our way to my apartment.

   We decided to watch Kill Bill. That was one of his favorites. He insisted that I watch it. It was amazing. He really has a good taste in movies. 

   "It seeeems wike yew ajoyed dat." Brad muttered. 

   "It was awesome. Uma Thurman's portrayal of the Bride was exceptional." I explained. 

   "I told yew." Brad giggled. 

   "Yeah you did."

   In that moment, our heads were really close. We were both smiling. All of sudden, Brad's lips crashed into mine. It was definitely his first kiss. It was pretty adorable. Brad pulled away as there was a knock on the door.

   It was Brad's mom. "Hi, I'm here to pick up Brad." Mrs. Chang smiled. "Hi, I'm Alyssa." 

  I extended my hand for a shake. "Yes, I remember! Brad's told me so much about you. It's so nice to see you again." 

   "Likewise." 

   "Brad, honey, are you ready to go?" 

   He nodded.

    "Alyssa, you should come over for dinner tomorrow. Are you free?" Mrs. Chang wondered. 

   Brad's face lit up. 

   "I'd love to." 

   "It's settled. I will see you at 7. Brad, honey let's go."

    "Bye, Lyssy."

    I waved back at him.

***

   I wore my favorite black dress to meet Brad's parents for our first official family dinner. Hunter came over before hand to help me get ready. He said I was being such a girl about figuring out what to wear, but what does he know? He couldn't choose between being a crackhead JoJo Siwa or if Elton John met a coked up mail order bride for Halloween last year.

   I was nervous as soon as I rang the bell. 

  "Ni hao, honey. Come in," his mom greeted me. 

   "Hi, Mr. Chang." 

   "Call me Gen." Brad's dad shook my hand. 

   "You've met my wife, Jie." 

   "Yes, hi."

   They guided me to the table that was filled with all the fixings. 

   "Brad, honey. Your friend is here." Mrs. Chang called up the stairs. 

   Brad ran down quickly and sat in his seat. "Hi, Lyssy." I laughed. 

   "Let's eat then." Mr. Chang shook his head at his eager son.