Over the Edge pt. 1

A/N: In this one shot, Jason did not die during the Trials of Apollo, and instead was severely injured. He recovered within a year and he and Piper are still together.

WILL'S POV

"Alright, I'm on my way," came Nico's voice through the monster-proof phone Leo had provided.

Will smiled and replied, "See you soon, Neeks. Love you." With that, Nico hung up. He looked down at the red and white checkered blanket on the soft grass, overlooking New Rome, drenched in warm sunlight. The blonde son of Apollo had prepared a surprise date for his boyfriend, and even though Nico wasn't one for romantics, Will couldn't help but continuously proclaim his love for the son of Hades. Nico, now old enough to legally drive as an adult, insisted on driving himself everywhere since Will had banned him from shadow traveling for normal things.

It'd been nearly five years since Gaea's defeat, and once the whole thing with Will's dad had blown over, the demigod world had been at peace. Percy and Annabeth were attending college in New Rome, Hazel and Frank had Praetor duties, Piper and Jason were teaching kids to spar in both Camp Half Blood and Camp Jupiter, and Calypso and Leo had opened a small garage here in New Rome. Will was still head of the Apollo cabin, and main healer of Camp Half Blood, and Nico had to run around doing errands for his father.

Will patted down his unruly blonde curls and tried his best to stay patient but there was still a worry in the back of his mind. Last Will had heard, Nico had a job in Orinda, California, barely four minutes from the Caldecott Tunnel, the entrance to New Rome. Will had been sitting at the top of the hill for over twenty minutes. He couldn't shake the feeling that something was very wrong. Pulling out a drachma and a glass prism he kept in his pocket for contact, Will set the prism down and watched a rainbow form, sunlight hitting the glass. He threw a drachma into the rainbow and watched it disappear, reciting, "O, Iris, goddess of the rainbow, show me Nico di Angelo, in..." Will didn't know where Nico was, but he continued. "...his car."

The rainbow shimmered, and soon, an image formed. Will paled considerably and his eyes widened in horror. For there, at the bottom of a cliff, was an unconscious and bloody Nico in a torn and tattered car, no doubt from the fall. "Nico," he muttered. "I'm coming."

NICO'S POV

Nico di Angelo had been sending monsters back to Tartarus all day. The last job from his father happened to be in Orinda, California, so Nico was grateful. Slightly. Currently, Nico was driving back to New Rome, back to his boyfriend. Will had sounded very excited over the phone so Nico had the suspicion Will was planning something. He didn't dwell on it too much; whatever Will was planning was bound to be sweet. Nico glanced out the window to his left and saw the ocean below, sharp rocks sticking out. Yikes. He was glad he knew how to drive steadily.

Right as Nico thought that, he knew he had messed up. Looking in the rearview mirror, Nico saw a massive hellhound swinging its paws at the car. The car flipped upside down and Nico cursed out loud as shards of glass embedded themselves into Nico's skin. With another blow from the hellhound, the car went toppling over the cliff, tumbling in midair. With a final crash onto the rocks below, Nico's vision went dark as he lost consciousness.