three

The girl

~

Walking back home was tiring, it sure felt like a long walk too. Two-Bit didn't offer to pick us up today since he was busy getting wasted. Typical Keith.

I count my steps, a habit I've had ever since I was five years old. I looked down at my messy converse and decided I won't look at where I'm going until I make it home.

I let out a small yawn, I planned on sleeping when I came home since gym class really tired me out, but it seemed Soda had other plans.

"Hey kid." He brought me in for a hug, sometimes I just wished he'd stop calling me a kid, we're twins after all.

"Hey Soda." I said tiredly, it he didn't seem to notice how tired I really was, or he just didn't care at all.
"I'm taking you to the movies!" He said excitedly, his ocean blue eyes twinkled like a little kids would when they saw something they wanted.
"What? Why?" I asked annoyed, couldn't he just understand that I'm not as social as he is?
"Because we never do anything anymore." He pleaded with his eyes.
"Fine." I rolled my eyes, then walked into the kitchen to get something to eat, that's basically how every day after school went, usually if I didn't get something to eat I probably didn't even go to school.

Darry wouldn't be home for another hour so I should've savored the peace and quiet while it lasted. I grabbed some chips from the pantry and sat down on the couch, fiddling with the remote to turn it on. Soda had left to get changed into his flannel, Soda had tons of flannels, but I already knew which one was his favorite.

Soda walked in with his tan flannel, his favorite flannel he owned. He looked at me and smiled, which I returned awkwardly. I may be Soda's twin, but I wasn't movie star handsome as he is. I have the same color hair as he did but my eyes weren't as bright as his was. He was perfect, I wasn't.

"What's up with you and Darry?" I asked, remembering this morning when neither of them would say a word to each other, or me at that matter.
"He's just stressed, that's all." He replied, sitting down in the armchair to watch the tv with me. Something was definitely off with the both of them, but I knew neither of them would admit if to me or Ponyboy.
I sat peacefully, laying back on the couch as the television played on.
Soda left after awhile, since the shows that played didn't interest him, Darry would be home in twenty minutes, which I dreaded because he'd just start yelling at me when he came home.

I started to close my eyes, sleep was taking over me and I let it. But not before Darry slammed the door open and walked in, startling me.
"Hey Loly, any homework?" Darry asks, sitting down at the kitchen table with a newspaper in hand. I lied bluntly.
"I finished it all at school."
"Good." He nodded, going back to his newspaper.

I sighed in relief, maybe that'd get him off my back for a little while. The show I had been watching for the past hour turned off and a new show started to play. I've never heard of it before and it already looked boring to me.
I hurried towards my bedroom and locked the door, it was getting later and later and as the seconds went by I just got tireder and tireder.

"Lollipop! We have to get going!" Soda's voice rattled from the other side of the door, I mentally rolled my eyes. I didn't wanna go, I hated going to the movies and so does Soda. But I guess Soda was only going because there'd be girls in bikinis.
"I'm coming!" I sighed, grabbing my converse and tying the laces. My hair was a mess but that's okay, i don't mind that much.
Soda was standing on the wall, resting his head back. I walked past him and tried my best not to trip as I walked to the living room. Darry wasn't there anymore, he probably was working on something in the backyard.

Soda was right at my heel as we walked (or I stumbled) out the door. Darry's truck was sitting in the driveway and Soda hurried and climbed into the front seat.
Steve was sitting on the drivers side, a smirk plastered on his face. Steve had messed up teeth and a messed up nose, he had hair that was greased back in complicated swirls. He was deadly attractive if you ask me.