Chapter Eight: A Confession to a Friend

"I don't know what I was thinking, I was acting like a lovesick crazy fool and then... I go ahead and do something like that. Gabrielle deserved a whole lot of respect and I had to succumb to my own urges and desires, a real lady should have a gentleman, not someone who can only be driven by sex." Evander was downing his second pint of ale as he was laying down his regrets and possibly putting himself down as unworthy of the affections of the Legendary Battling Bard. Autolycus II just listened to the young man as much as he could, while he spaced out quite a couple of times he did try to be a sincere and compassionate guy. "But you did have quite a "good" time didn't you?" Evander gave him the death glare, " This is not about having a "good time" Autolycus, it's about the fact that I could have been better for Gabrielle's sake and not allow my own anger at my father channel into lust and probably... I'm afraid it was a one night stand thing, and it would have been better not to bed her until I took the long road to win her affections, she must think of me as a cad." A sudden flash of purple light signaling his father's arrival, Autolycus II yelped in surprise as Ares roughly turned his son towards him and said, "You have to get your ass out of here right now! There's trouble brewing and Alexandria is going up in flames, you have to leave before you get in the crossfire." Evander frowned, an invasion? Was his father trying to pull his leg? "I take it you know what just happened between me and Gabrielle, believe me when I say that I was doing it to spite you as the second category, firstly I was just following my heart and soul and I think that I might have messed up on it." Ares groaned in disgust as he summoned all his willpower to not throw up at the mere memory of his son fornicating with Xena's meddlesome companion. "Moving on, you have to leave, a psychotic Amazon and a former washed up warlord from Xena's time 25 years ago are coming straight here to locate the long lost Tomb of Alexander the Great which is said to be buried underneath the city, now you have a choice to make Evander. Are you going to leave Egypt with me, or do you want to find the tomb before those people do?" Evander looked puzzled, "Wait, are you here to tell me to leave Alexandria, or are you tempting me to go on another crazy adventure that might end up with someone dying?" Ares just shrugged at the mere possibility that someone might end up dead, "Well I'm not going to stop you if you're really going to go get Alexander III's treasure, but you're not gonna die on me Junior, I won't let you do that even out of spite for me." Autolycus II raised his hand as he asked a little inebriated, "So you're saying that there is a treasure involved in all this?" Ares gave the thief a death glare as Evander shook his head in embarrassment at the blunt question. "Okay, let's just get out of here before...." Evander didn't have time to finish before the room was suddenly swarming with ruthless bloodthirsty men, and the leader was a woman who could pass off to be an Amazon. "Ares, this is quite a pleasure for me to have been the second woman who has ever outsmarted you."