Chapter Seven

I don't message Evros at all in the days leading up to the book meeting. All my nerves were left in that forest, I think. I would type a message and then delete every letter. I couldn't follow through with a single step in any direction. I even received a message from Kithra. She asked if I had time to meet this week before Saturday. My nerves were absolutely shot and all confidence was drained so I simply put my phone away.

I spent all my time finishing up other novels I had started and then put down, one after another, constantly being distracted by another recommendation or dazzling cover. I had read about werewolves in the beginning and immediately had to put it down. Are werewolves real too!? I picked up a book on the history of Japan. After finally finishing this one, I moved on to a book about Africa and then another mythology book. This last one also made my head spin for the possibilities of what was real. What have I been missing? Who do I pass every day or what situations have I almost been a part of? This reminds me of a story from Nathaniel Hawthorne: David Swan. It was about a young man who fell asleep next to a tree and had no idea that three fates almost claimed him. He was visited by a wealthy couple, a young beautiful woman and then a thief. Where is my life going to go now that I know? I had so many questions.

I put my hair up again today and straightened my skirt out before I left my building. I was wearing something a little out of my element, but it was one of the few things that nearly forced the confidence to make its way from whatever rock it had slid under. The burgundy skirt was a little bulky, with multiple layers. My top was a long sleeve, thin fabric that was a complimentary off-white. I took a few deep breaths and readied myself for the evening. The others...do they know? Are they part of that world?

I took the final turn to go down the long stretch of road that led to the bookstore. I was just about there when something began to feel off. A moment later, I slammed on my breaks. It's gone. Where is the bookstore!?

Right where the bookstore had been, was an empty plot of land. Not even the parking lot remained. There was no trace anything had ever existed on top of the dying grass. I put my car in park and ran out towards the field. I could see the forest in the distance. Dusk was just setting in and the sun was slowly dropping below the treeline. I saw no mist or darkness emanating from the forest, although I could still feel the wrongness of it.

I stood here for a few moments before I began to run. I ran into the forest without a second thought. My skirt stuck to my legs as I ran against the wind. I picked it up and bunched it in my hands to prevent myself from tripping over the fabric. I ducked and leaped over debris and darted around trees or bushes. I always had an amazing sense of direction. Help me find it. I wasn't sure who I was asking but I begged anyway. I found the clearing that I had found myself in that night that everything changed. I went left and took a few more twists and turns and then there it was. The cottage.

I walked up, my pace dropping to a frantic scurry instead of the all out run I had been in. I go up to the door and open it with the fear pooling into my belly. As I saw nothing but empty space, the fear and shock slid its way up my back. I could feel my head begin to dizzy and blur. What was happening? Did I imagine everything? Did I hallucinate!?

I went to the bedroom and a wave of cold shot through me. There was no bed, no furniture and the fireplace was emptied, but there was a letter on the floor. It was right where the bed had been. I quickly picked it up. I looked at the front of the envelope and read it aloud, "Sena." I tear through the encasing and bring a single piece of paper out. It had that same dark red crest on the upper right corner. Two sentences was all it contained.

'Sena, forgive me for disappearing. I wish I had the time to explain more to you. Sincerely, Evros Vahl'

"That's it!? Explain more? What exactly DID you explain Evros!?" I hear my voice ring out in the silent cottage. Anger rumbled through my bloodstream and I felt a tremble take over. I was this close. I was THIS close to more. I was THIS close to something real and tangible. I had magic at my feet and it disappeared? I had somebody look at me with actual interest, with appreciation and now it's just gone. The wonder. The hope. The small moments of affection and trust.

"No," I declare loudly. "Not going to happen. I was not shoved around and forgotten by everybody for nothing. I did not waste this much of my life to not get something more out of it. I deserve my reward. I have given this world my tears, my fear, my pain and my soul for so long. For the first time, I felt like there was somebody I could trust and someone that saw me...for me. I was seen! No, Evros. You don't get to disappear on me." I can feel the tears coming in hot paths down my cheeks. This time I am not going to just hope and wait.

I walk out of the cottage and see the sky darkening faster than usual. I quicken my pace out of the forest line to my car. I make it without a single puff of mist meandering my way. I sat on the hood and looked at the paper in my hands. I have his full name and I bet this is his family crest.

Let's find out where you come from Evros, and who you were.