Chapter 12: Day of Peace?

There was something different about Akko lately, I mean it wasn't like there ever was a moment where Akko isn't different from the usual mold but this was more unusual than Akko usually was. Humming a dainty tune and swinging her body around regardless of what she was doing. And it seemed to become greater the more days passed by.

"Alright," You put down your cup as you and Akko were taking a break, making Akko stop the umpteenth tune she came up with just today. "I know you're the definition of upbeat but something tells me something bigger is going on for you to dance around this place like you're in some generic Christmas movie."

Akko's eyes brightened up like they hadn't already turned into two suns. "Oh right, I never told you about hybrid holidays huh?"

You raised an interested eyebrow. "So something like your equivalent of Christmas huh?"

"I guess, or your equivalent of the day of peace!" Akko send you two finger guns.

You stared at her blankly.

"That's uh, the name of the holiday." An awkward laugh would come out of Akko.

A smile formed on your face. "That's a nice name, sounds like it got a history behind it too."

"It does!" Akko stood up as she pressed her hands against the table, rattling your glasses. "Wanna hear it?"

Taking a sip from your spilled cup you shrugged. "Sure, we're still on break anyways."

"Yay!" Yelled Akko. "So basically a really long time ago before hybrids or even humans learned to not bash each other in the head every two seconds there goes a tale that during one very cold winter a predator hybrid was out in the snow, almost on the verge of death after a fierce battle with another predator for territory."

Akko paused for drama before continuing, while you unknowingly took way more sips from your cup. "On the verge of death the predator believed he would not live to see another day, that was until a sympathetic prey hybrid family came across them. And instead of leaving them to die brought them to their home and nursed them back to health, even giving away food out of the kindness of their heart."

"When the predator's pack came to reclaim their lost member the healed predator - grateful convinced his pack not to attack the prey family but to work together with them for the betterment of them all, and so the first truly peaceful hybrid settlement would come into existence as it continued growing. We hybrids commemorate this wonderful occasion of unity in a great feast that anyone is invited to attend. Eating and partying the night away!" Akko ended the story with a fist bump into the air, sitting back down as a small blush formed on her face. "A-As you can see I'm very excited about it."

"Well, it is a really nice story, happy holidays by the way."

Akko's smile returned to its usual bigness. "Thanks! Same to you, I bet you are going to have a pretty cool holiday too."

Your eyes would look elsewhere. "Yeah, I suppose."

The smile Akko had dropped. "I know that tone, don't tell me you don't celebrate at all...?"

Rubbing the back of your head you let out a fake cough. "Yeah...I just never really saw the point in it with just me around most of the time." You tried to finish your cup, only to discover it was already empty. "Anyways, I'll give you some vacation days to spend your day of peace back home. I'm going back to work."

Just as you were about to leave Akko spoke up. "Actually, I was thinking of celebrating here."

"But-" You turned to her.

"You did listen to the story right? It's a holiday anyone can join in on." She send you a smug smile. "Besides all this food has to be enjoyed by yours truly at least once!"