Chapter 10: Good and Bad Advice

After a gentle sip by its user the cup of tea was put down, completely emptied. "Well, that was quite wonderful." Akko's mother said with a smile. "And just from what my senses tell me I am feeling it's been going quite wonderful here too lately."

"It is!" Exclaimed Akko, holding onto her cold tea she had yet to take even one lick off with how much she was talking. "We have achieved and learned so much together, it's been great here."

"Indeed, I'll admit I only expected trouble from Akko at first..." Both you and Akko shot each other a playful glare, before breaking into a laugh. "but she has proven to be quite the resourceful worker and...friend."

Her mother nodded, seemingly not noticing how you got quieter. "Good, good. And I presume Akko's debt will soon be repaid then? ...Hello?"

In-between her words your eyes trailed towards Akko, taking in the form of the girl you had only just recently learned to-

"Hello? Is everything ok?"

Her mother's concerns made Akko turn to see why you were so silent, both your eyes looking at each other. A faint blush would form on Akko's cheeks as she stared at you with the same thoughts in mind.

You however were quick to snap back. "R-Right. Yes the debt is getting repaid just fine, should only be a month or so." Feeling your nerves getting the best of you your body swooped forward to grab miss Kagari's cup much to her surprise. "Let me refill this, I can't have my guests have nothing right?"

Without waiting for an answer you left the room, unaware of the two pairs of eyes that were staring at you until one of them would stare at the other. This one still watching the entrance to the kitchen even if you were long invincible.

"You love them don't you Akko?"

Akko immediately snapped to her mother with wide eyes. "Whaaaat? Mom did they put something in that tea of yours or something?"

"Akko, look me straight in the eyes."

Akko gulped, holding her lips as she did what was commanded.

Miss Kagari's smile returned, becoming bigger. "Well, that's all I need to see to know that you love them."

Raising up her finger Akko began. "But-"

"Why would you deny it?" Her mother asked.

Akko slowly let the finger go down, her eyes trailing towards the fabric of the couch. "I don't know...I guess I'm just confused? It's only been a few days since I learned I love them and yet I fear that if I act upon them it'll ruin everything we build up together, and I don't want to lose that friendship."

"What makes you say that?"

An exasperated huff left Akko. "Come on mom even you don't have to be here 24/7 to know our current relationship is rocky as is, we are constantly at each other's throats! How can love ever bloom from that?"

"It made love bloom on your side." Akko rolled her eyes at her mother's words. "Besides that, from what I heard in our conversations you do eventually make up in the end, alongside the things you do together with no fighting at all. Even those little glares you send earlier felt more playful than malevolent."

"I guess..." Akko pulled on a strand of hair. "It's messy but..." She smiled. "But it's what makes our friendship special."

She immediately dropped it as she looked back at her mother. "N-Not that that's enough, I mean even if I like them how could they ever like me? Someone who stole their crops and manages to get themselves into constant trouble!"