Chapter 9: Double Wolf Trouble!

A few days had passed after your trip to the city, you were just getting ready for bed when you noticed Akko was looking out the window seemingly...phased out?

Walking up to her you went to place your hand on her shoulder. "Akko?"

You retracted it back quickly as Akko jolted in place, snapping towards you and looking like she was about to sprint away with the look of fear she had on her face.

"O-Oh, it's just you." Akko went back to a more normal pose. "Sorry about that, I'm a little antsy today." Her gaze was back on looking out the window.

"How come?" You asked, joining her in looking into the pitch black of the outside.

Akko laughed awkwardly. "This is stupid, but you remember how paranoid I get when I have to sleep alone? It's like that but it's now my instincts joining in on it too."

"Your instincts?"

"You know, that whole survival mechanism everyone and especially prey species has where a subconscious part of their brain just knows when something is awfully wrong." Explained Akko. "It's been itching since yesterday, but now it has only become worse."

You narrowed your eyes, trying to make out anything in the darkness. "So you're saying something's out there?" You gave up as you couldn't make out anything beyond some parts of your farm, and of course Akko's lawnmower robot doing it's patrolling that didn't involve waking up half the forest or throwing anything to its death.

"Maybe? I went and looked everywhere before but I found nothing." A small groan left Akko. "Something tells me this is going to mess with my sleep...ugh."

Out of Akko's sight you send her a small worried glance, silently leaving her side while she continued to watch. Akko's eyes widened when she saw a small tinge of fur, forcing her head against the glass window to see whatever it was clearer.

A sigh left her as it was just a squirrel, soon scared off by her creation's mere existence. Still Akko kept herself attached to the window, needing any advantage to find whatever was out there or not.

"Hey-"

Akko did the exact same thing as when you called out to her for the first time, this time however you looked less amused.

"...Sorry." Akko shifted back, her eyes trailing towards what you were holding. "Hey, why do you have that blunderwhatchacallit with you?"

"Blunderbuss," You placed said item next to the nightstand. "I thought you would appreciate the extra safety with what your instincts are up to."

Looking at the gun a cheeky smile formed on Akko's face. "Not much use to a gun that's empty now is there?"

"Watch it...I wouldn't sound so sure." You narrowed your eyes at her. "Besides it's about the idea."

Akko giggled. "Yeah, well worst case scenario I can always use it as a wicked club!"

"See that's the spirit."

~

The night seemed to go over like any other at first, with you soundly sleeping long used to the snoring monster known as Akko next to you. That was before your eyes shot open as you heard odd skittering noises from outside.

You didn't think of them much at first, chalking them up to the imagination when a little later they returned. To the point you eventually laid on the bed wide awake, listening to the eerie noises and almost thinking of getting up to investigate what it is or just ignoring them and going back to sleep. The former becoming more appetizing by the second.