The Boy at the Bar

Start from the beginning

I just want to be normal again. I want to be able to go to a bar with friends and not have to worry about someone touching me or worse -talking to me. I want to ask employees for help and not care if someone brushes by me and not jump when I hear a sudden noise.

So, in a feeble attempt to appear normal, I lift my head from the ground just as Eliza pulls me to a stop, but what I see has my heart stilling in my chest.

Curly hair. Emerald eyes glazed over slightly. Almost completely unbuttoned shirt. Tattoos. Grin so big I could swim in his dimples. Eliza lets go of my hand to greet her boyfriend who sits next to Harry at their small table in the back corner.

She didn't tell me they would be here.

I haven't really talked to Harry much since the day we got frozen yogurt and I almost got trampled on. But, he still comes to café every day, stealing small glances at me and furiously scribbling in his journal.

After that day, there is just an unspoken bond between us -a slight understanding.

"Layla," Harry breathes in shock once Eliza moves and reveals me behind her. He looks completely shocked to see me here and I don't blame him, "Wh-what are you... Why are you-"

"It's her two month anniversary with Cheshire! We're celebrating!" Eliza cuts in with a grin and I flash him a shaky smile as Niall turns to me with a drunk grin.

"Didn't know you and Cheshire were so serious. Harry here must be devastated, but then again he does have Jai-"

"Shut your gob, Neil." Harry snaps, swaying slightly in his stool as Niall rolls his eyes, but I find myself chuckling at Harry's immaturity.

I can't explain it, but somehow... Harry being here eases some of my anxiety... Like, his presence alone seems to calm my nerves slightly. The atmosphere still has my stomach in knots and my mind racing with unpleasant memories as people stumble by our table every so often, but his cupcake-like demeanor distracts me from everything happening around me.

"D'ya want anything to drink?"

"Uh... No thanks, Harry."

"You sure. It'll be on me, considering that it is your two month anniversary and all."

"No, really. I don't drink." I cut in, ending his persuading and causing his grin to falter slightly from my somber tone.

Because I used to drink. At home with Him. At bars with Him. Any and everywhere we went together I found myself with a cup of some unknown liquid in my hand, Him practically feeding it to me through a straw.

And then we would stumble our way home and I would find myself underneath Him or on top of Him because that's what He wanted.

And He would kiss "I love yous" into my skin and hold me all night and I thought I had finally gotten the love I so badly craved my entire life. And for those nights I felt so full and so drunk on liquor and love.

But, then dawn would come and He would berate me for getting so drunk. "Alcoholic," "Reckless," and "Naïve" would fall from His lips easily and He would ask where His "sweet, innocent, baby girl" went, even though He was the one pouring my shots.

And despite His scathing words we would always find ourselves at a bar the next night and even if I didn't want to drink, I would because He wanted me to. And I would do anything for Him.

Because that was before I knew what the liquor did to Him. But, it wouldn't take me much longer to find out.

"Why not? Beer is good. Beer is great." Niall grins sloppily and Harry elbows him in the side, scolding him.