Chapter 39: Take Lives to Save Lives

Start from the beginning

And wordlessly, he dashed off to an unknown destination.

"Okay. Good night and good luck."

Seeing him continue to dash off, I flew in the air; my eyes tracked Yama's position like a hawk.

I followed the wary, yet clueless Yama. After a good 20 minutes, he finally made it to a building that looked like it was in a slums. It was a small, one story building that had a side path for an underground cellar.

"This is so fucking clichè." I could only stare in disbelief at what I was seeing. A suspicious group run by a boss based in a slums right in the capital of a powerful Empire. It was screaming clichè and a plot against humanity, and the streets smelled like shit so they definitely picked the right location.

Yup. This is a slums alright.

Yama knocked on a iron door that sat underneath the foundation of the building, the cellar, in a specific pattern while glancing around to make sure that no one was following.

Knock knock... knock-knock... knock... knock-knock.

It was a simple pattern. Once he was done, a sliding viewport opened up, a pair of eyes looking through to see who did the code. With no conversation between them, the viewport closed and the person behind the door opened it up for Yama.

I made my move. As quick as I could, I jumped down and stood in the way of the man closing the door behind Yama, preventing it from closing.

When the man, a bald-headed burly man, noticed that the door wasn't closing properly, he felt something was wrong and looked back to see my arm in between the gaps.

"...What?"

He couldn't believe what he saw.

It was an iron door. An iron door. And the woman this arm belonged to managed to wedge their arm between it and stop it without so much as a yelp of pain? He was surprised that their bones didn't break attempting it.

But nonetheless, they were an uninvited intruder.

He pulled a rope that was near the door, a bell chime ringing out throughout the building. 

I pushed open the iron door with no effort, much to the surprise of the burly man. He picked up a shield and mace that was placed nearby and readied himself for a fight. The mace was in his right arm and the shield in his left. The mace looked simple, yet dangerous and the shield looked like a buckler shield in the arms of that man. No, perhaps it was?

It didn't matter anyways.

I didn't pull out my sword. Against a shielded opponent, I wanted to strong-arm him. I thought It'd be funny. A small girl beating the shit out of a tall fatass.

"No! No, no, no!" And Yama, who turned back after hearing the sound of the bell screamed in horror as he quickly about faced and ran off yet again, abandoning the big man to die alone.

"..."

The big man hid his fear and didn't say anything, and kept his eyes on me. If Yama was afraid of me, there had to be a proper reason for it. His gaze pierced through me. He was confused, yet remained steady in what he had to do. That was to buy time.

Step, step.

Walking slowly towards me to get into his attack range, The big man's body slightly shifted in preparation to attack. Once I was close enough, the man swung his mace in a short attack downward to see what I'd do. To him, if I wasn't going to use my sword, it was all the better for him, so why not attack?

Thing is though, I'm a dragon. I may be in a human form, but that didn't prevent my body from keeping the same strength as my dragon form. I didn't need to abide to the common sense of a fight between humans.