Chapter 26

Jared continued pacing his cell back and forth. He hadn't slept really at all the previous night and trying to think of a way out seemed to be the only good idea to occupy his time.

        "You guys have to find a way out of here." Kassidy whispered.

          "You think I don't know that?! What do you think I'm doing right now?!"

         "I'm just trying to help. No need to be an asshole about it."

         "Just... give me some time, okay?" He whispered, finally sinking down to sit. "I'll figure something out."

          "Yeah, okay. Just please stay safe."

         "I will."

         "Wh-What time is it?" Stefanie asked feebly, slowly sitting up.

        It was a relief to see that it seemed that she hadn't lost enough blood to be dying, but she had always been really lethargic since getting back to the cell.

          Brian sighed. "It'd be nice to know that."

         "How long have we been in these stupid cells."

         "At least twenty four hours." Jared muttered.

         "Hey, Leanne's been asleep for a really long time." Brian said softly. "Should we check on her?"

         Lonnie knelt down beside her and frowed as he placed a hand on her forehead. "She's burning up."

        "Should we wake her up?" Stefanie asked.

        "No." Brian answered. "Let her get some rest. She'd be awake by now if she didn't need it."

           "Stress can be tiring."

        "Not for everyone." Hruyyus answered. "Don't think I wasn't kept up by your pacing all night. Why don't you get some rest?"

          "I'm okay, I'm fine."

          "Jared-" She started, lighting grabbing his arm.

          Her touch sent sparklers through him entire body and he quickly pulled away, his face going a deep red as he stood up. "I promise, I'm fine."

         She scanned over him, confusion in her eyes. "Are you okay?"

         "Yeah."

         Kassidy let out a small chuckle. "Someone has a crush."

         "Shut up!"

         But despite how testy he had been getting with the hallucination of his sister, he missed her so much. She always knew how to lighten up a situation, which was a trait of hers he clearly didn't know how to keep with him.

         He just wanted his sister back! Why was that such a big ask?!

         Furious, hot tears streamed down his cheeks and he quickly wiped them away.

        "Are you sure you're okay?" Hruyyus whispered.

         "Yeah, the sleep deprivation is probably just getting to me." He muttered, sinking to kneel down.

         Hruyyus knelt down beside him, pulling him into a hug.

        He hated that every touch from her sent him spiraling into some bottomless abyss. After being locked in the cell together, they started talking and actually started to become friends, but why did it have to feel like it needed to be more?!

          Still, the warmth of her hug was far more soothing than suffocating, although there was some feeling of suffocation to it.

         He didn't know how long he sat in her arms, just that it felt like an eternity and three seconds at the same time.

          "You should get some sleep." She finally whispered.

         "That's probably a good idea." He muttered, wiping his face dry.

          "I'm here if you need anything."

          "Thanks."

           Kassidy smirked, her gaze flicking between her brother and Hruyyus.