Chapter 3

Brian dug around in the fridge. Despite the fact that the amusement park had only recenly shut down, it looked like they'd already cleared out all the food and drinks.

        "Nothing's here." 

         Stefanie groaned, dramatically draping herself across the counter. "I'm so thirstyyyyyyyy!"

         "You should've brought a water bottle." Jared answered. "This place has been abandoned, there's no way they'd have refreshments just lying around."

        "But why didn't they leave the old stuff behiiiiiiinndd?!"

         "So it didn't rot and stink the place up just in case they decide to sell the property."

          "Whatever." Stefanie muttered.

          Jared slowly sighed, running a hand through his hair. "We should probably find Leanne and Kassidy."

          Brian nodded and Stefanie let out a moan as she slowly sat up.

          They left the old diner and started walking toward the bumper cars.

         Stefanie hummed cheerily as they walked, pulling her hair back into a ponytail.

         Brian searched for a map, although he couldn't even find one in the old customer services booth.

         Finally, they found the bumper cars.

         Kassidy was kneeling beside one of the bumper cars, Leanne unconscious in it and still strapped in.

          "I always knew your road rage was gonna kill someone." Jared said, rushing over.

         Brian elbowed him in the ribs. "Really? You picked now for a joke?"
         "I didn't hit her car. I was on the other side of the rink and looked over and she was out like a light."

          "Well, I think she's just asleep." He said softly, taking her pulse. 

          He tried to stop the small smirk that wanted to appear. Leanne was just so cute when she was asleep.

          Kassidy's concern fell away as she started laughing. "My god, that girl. She has to stop staying up like that all the time."

         Jared shook one of Leanne's shoulders and her eyes slowly fluttered open. "Hmmmm?"

         "You fell asleep in a bumper car." Stefanie said.

         "Oh. Sorry."

        Brian adjusted his sunglasses before they all started back toward the diner.

       "What's this?" He asked softly, pausing in front of a large silver building. "I don't remember seeing this our first time through."

        "It looks like a UFO." Leanne answered softly, running a finger over it. "It's probably an old fun house."

         "It looks like they put a lot of detail into it." Kassidy said softly. 

          Stefanie started up the ramp to the entrance before anyone could stop her. With a groan, Brian started after her.

          He couldn't shake his uneasiness as they started inside, but at the same time, he was excited. If they put this much detail into a fun house it had to be pretty cool.

         Everyone moved silently into the fun house, despite their knowledge that the entire park was abandoned.

         "This place is so cool." Kassidy whispered, running her fingers across the wall.

          Brian had to agree. He'd never seen anything like this.

         The power must not have been cut off yet, because various lights and buttons were all still flashing vibrant yellows and blues.

         "How did we never hear about this?" Jared asked softly. "For something this cool, no one ever talked about it."

         "At least we're getting to see it now. That's all that-"

         Kassidy cut off as approaching footsteps echoed off the walls. The entire group went stiff as they all nervously glanced at one another. Brian quickly flung open one of the doors and they all rushed in before shutting it, leaving it open just a crack so they could see who was approaching.

        Brian's eyes widened when he saw two figures walk by. Both of them had bright pink skin with yellow glowing eyes. They had four tentacles sprouting from their backs but still had arms and legs despite that. They wore long, flowing red robes with yellow symbols on them.

        "Those are some nice actors." Stefanie said. "To be working overtime and not even complaining. They're truly the backbone of this economy."

         "Why would they have actors on an abandoned attraction?" Kassidy whispered, her voice trembling as she spoke.

         "To work overtime in case people sneak in?" Stefanie suggested.

        Leanne shook her head. "They wouldn't have actors on an abandoned attraction!"

        "Then what are they doing here?" Brian whispered.

         "I-Is it at all possible... that this isn't one of the attractions?" Jared whispered.

         "That's crazy. We need to consider what all could be happening before jumping to conclusions." Leanne answered.

          "I think we need to consider the fact that these could be real aliens." Jared whispered.

         Kassidy let out a snort before quickly covering her mouth, her face going red. "Look, I agree this is strange, but seriously? Aliens? You've been reading too many sci-fi books, bro. They don't exist."

         "They how do you explain all this?" Stefanie asked.

         "Burglars?" Leanne suggested softly, already knowing that there was no way that was the answer.

         Brian didn't like how much sense Jared and Stefanie were making. Sure, he didn't believe in aliens, but no other explanation made sense.

        "This is crazy." Brian whispered, staring after the two figures even though they were long gone by that point.

        "You can't seriously think-" Kassidy started.

        "What else am I supposed to think?!"

         She fell silent, looking at the floor for a few moments.

         Jared slowly sighed. "We need to leave. Now."

         They all rushed back to the door they entered from, but froze as they reached it. There was no doorknob. Brian started trying to pry the door open, but it was refusing to budge.

        "Open the door already!" Kassidy hissed.

        "What do you think I'm trying to do?!" Brian answered, frustratedly throwing his hands up. "I can't get it!"

         "So we're stuck?" Stefanie asked softly.

         "What are we supposed to do now?!" Jared said, wringing his hands.

        "We need to find somewhere to stay, find some food, and find some water." Leanne answered, placing her hands on her hips. "We should split up. Kassidy, Stefanie, and I will look for somewhere to stay. Why don't you two look for food and water?"

          Jared slowly nodded. "Okay."

        Brian hated the idea of splitting up, but Leanne seemed so confident. And he was too nervous to argue with her.

         He and Jared made their way down the hall in silence.

          "This is a lot." Jared finally whispered.

         "Yeah. Let's just try to figure this out."