𝔏𝔢𝔱 𝔐𝔢 𝔅𝔢 𝔞 𝔗𝔯𝔢𝔢

Start from the beginning

"I say we talk to her."

Wendy shakes her head and her ponytail glides across her shoulders. "Not a chance. And don't think I didn't see you catch her pen this morning."

Me? Are they talking about me? I take a step forward. Why would Seulgi want to talk to me about someone's great-grandfather dying?

"So, come on. Out with it," Sehun says near my ear.

I jump, sending my elbow into the metal lockers. Wendy turns around at the loud clang and finds me two feet away from her, staring in her direction with a guilty look on my face. She narrows her eyes and I quickly walk away from the wall, shifting my gaze to Sehun. I don't know why I thought that was a good idea. Stealth is not my thing. And I'm positive Wendy is only going to like me less now.

"Out with what?" I reply, walking toward history class and away from Wendy at a fast pace.

Sehun holds the classroom door open for me. "The secret door. What'd you find in there?"

"Truthfully, I didn't go in."

"Scared?" His brown eyes light up.

I smile and slide into my seat. "No, we came home late because Yoomi dragged me all over town doing errands. And ten minutes after we got home, our lights went out and wouldn't go back on."

"So, basically, you were waiting for me to go in with you."

I feign annoyance at his amused expression.

"Settle, everyone," says Mr. Wang, taking off his blazer and hanging it over his chair. "As many of you probably expect, our history class will play an active role in Manyeo's annual history fair by doing a historical reenactment. I'll assign you each a role today."

Oh no! I can't even talk in front of my homeroom class of twenty people.

"Also," continues Mr. Wang, "you will write an essay on a specific aspect of the Witch Trials. This is a group assignment; you'll work in pairs. Your homework tonight is to find a partner and a topic." He lifts a stack of papers to distribute. "These are the format guidelines."

This is not my day. Please just let me be a tree, or something else with no lines.

"We are pairing with Ms. Eung's class for the performance, and the jobs will be distributed equally among you. Don't argue with me about your specific assignment; this isn't up for a vote."

"Now, this class is special," Mr. Wang continues, "Because we have actual lineages of the main players in the Witch Trials. I think it only appropriate they are given the opportunity to play them."

Halfway through his sentence, my stomach jumps into my throat. No, no, no! This is a horrible idea! My relatives played a big part in those Trials. I can't do that.

His eyes land on me. "Sooji, I'm not wrong in assuming you're related to Bae Changbin, am I?" Everyone turns to get a good look at me.

I slide down a few inches in my seat. "Yeah. Um, actually, maybe someone else wants to play him?" The two Lineages in the class take a particular interest in me.

Mr. Wang's forehead wrinkles. "As I said, this isn't up for debate, Sooji."

"Suzy," I correct him. "I'm just . . . really not a performer."

"This isn't about winning an acting award, Suzy. It's about celebrating our history. And you will participate if you hope to pass this class."

Well, that sucked.

"Kai and Soojung, you'll also play your ancestors," Mr. Wang says to the Lineages.

"Great," says Kai. He shoots me a nasty look.

Wait. Kai . . . was that whose great-grandfather died? I shift uncomfortably in my seat.

"Mr. Wang," says a girl from my homeroom in the front row. Her voice is high-pitched and she grips her stomach. "I need to use the bathroom. It's an emergency."

Before he can reply, she runs out of the room with her hand covering her mouth.

"Read your guidelines, and I'll be back in a moment." Mr. Wang exits the room, following the girl.

"Yo, Sehun," says the guy with the varsity jacket sitting in front of me. "You wanna partner on this essay or what?"

"Do you mean, do I wanna write the whole thing while you eat all my food and pass out covered in crumbs on my couch?" Sehun asks. It's clear they're good friends/

"I mean, if you're offering," says the guy.

"No, man, I already told Suzy I'd be her partner."

"Lies," says the guy. "But I don't blame you. She's way cuter than me." He reaches out his hand and I take it. "I'm Kang."

"Suzy," I say, and he kisses my hand. I pull it back and he grins. Sehun shakes his head. Soojung's bob swishes in my direction, and she whispers something to Kai. I'm suddenly regretting listening to Wendy's conversation. I kind of wish I wasn't on their radar at all.

Mr. Wang steps back into the classroom. "Everything's under control." He doesn't make it more than two feet before a guy, also from my homeroom, pushes past him. "Or, apparently not."

Oh, crap! What are the chances two people from my homeroom are sick? Please let this be a coincidence. Whatever it is, do not let it be those pastries.