"Like what? Knowing how to use a gun like my dad and uncle will help my family. It will protect them from all the bad men out there."

"There are bad women out there too, remember that." She smiled sadly.

"I've never thought of that. All the bad people I know are men." At the time, I couldn't have known that my little sister or even my future girlfriend would be capable of murder.

My mother released my shoulder. "You're still young."

We started walking toward my father once more. Our house was a giant monstrosity near the ocean, surrounded by hundreds of acres of land. I loved running and hiding in between the dense trees with my cousin Mateo. It felt freeing, something my mother never experienced while living there. She said my father built the house larger than a fortress to keep her busy inside of it and away from his enemies.

"What are the skills I must learn to be a good husband?"

Her gaze flickered to my father who stood patiently, watching us approach with intense eyes. A smile spread across her face and she lifted her hand in a small wave. My father took a step forward and continued to stare at her. A gesture that almost resembled a smile flitted on his lips.

"Honesty."

I frowned. "I don't understand."

"It means don't lie to your wife. Don't hide your feelings from her. Communicate your desires in truth. Tell her what you need and why you need it. Give her time to think about your request, and don't get upset when she can't provide it."

"Is dad an honest man?"

"Yes. He doesn't like me traveling the way I do. He asked me to stop. I refused. Instead of getting upset, he made a compromise. I'm allowed to travel with a bodyguard. One he chooses. I've had a different bodyguard in every country I've traveled to."

"Why not hire just one bodyguard?"

She laughed. "Because your father is a man and he doesn't want me to spend more time with another man than I do with him."

"I think that makes sense."

"Of course, you do. You're a lot like him and you'll make a fine husband. I will make sure of it."

I beamed, delighted at the thought of being a good husband to my wife someday.

"A woman likes a patient man, loyal by default. You should always let her know your intentions upfront. If you want just sex, tell her, and don't play with her heart. If you want her, show her that she's your everything. Marry her and cherish her. She needs to trust that you have her best interest at heart."

"Dad cherishes you."

"Yes, he does. In private. He doesn't want the world to know I'm his weakness."

"Cariño, you're my weakness and a torn at my side," my father spoke in a low voice when we were within earshot. He held his arms open and my mother flew into them, wrapping her wings around him in a tight hug. "I fucking missed you, woman."

The two embraced and I looked on in awe. We walked into the house and our housekeeper, Antonia, was there to help my mother out of her coat and rid her of her belongings.

"The pink bag full of spices needs to go in the kitchen."

"Yes, señora, as you wish."

My father took my mother's hand as they walked toward the kitchen. I trailed behind them, eager to hear all the adventure stories from India.

"What kind of wisdom are you filling my son's head with so early in the morning?" My father wanted to know.

"How to be a good husband, of course."