Chapter 11 - Part 1

Start from the beginning

I sat down and he sat down beside me.

"If you ever told me I would be having this conversation I would have told you were crazy." I paused.

"What is it? Just tell me." There was an edge of irritation to his voice.

I sighed and turned to face him. "I never meant for this to happen, you have to know."

His frown deepened. "What happened?"

"I cheated on you."

I had said the words and I watched an array of his emotions display across his features.

"With who?" He sounded shocked.

I briefly closed my eyes. "Aiden."

I felt the seat beside me shift and I looked up to see Max pace in front of me. Then he stopped to glare at me.

"So while I was worried about you and Lacey you were fucking my best friend?"

The words he used he had chosen to hurt me and I deserved it, every single one of them.

I nodded, feeling like there was no way to make this easier. What I had done was horrible and how could I expect him to take it well. I felt like the lowest low life on the planet and I couldn't blame him for the hatred that settled in his glare.

He had every right to feel that way and I had to take it. I had acted without thought and it was time to face the consequences.

"I asked him to watch over you." He shook his head. "Here I was worried about you and you didn't give a shit about me."

I shook my head. "I didn't mean to hurt you." Emotion clogged my throat and I swallowed.

"How many times?" he asked, his jaw tense.

"It doesn't matter."

"Don't tell me what matters. Just answer my question." His eyes locked with mine.

"We slept together once."

Did knowing that make any difference to him?

He raked his hand through his hair as he turned his back to me. I wanted to console him even though I was the cause of this mess. I stood and approached him but when my hand touched his shoulder he shook it off.

"Don't touch me."

I dropped my hand. "I never meant for any of this to happen."

He turned to face me. "How did it happen?"

I frowned. Surely he didn't want details. When I didn't answer his question immediately he pressed on.

"You owe me an explanation and I need to know how my girlfriend and my best friend slept together."

Deep down I knew it would give him no comfort but how could I deny him what he wanted to know. It was the least I could do.

"The first time we kissed was when we took Lacey out the party before her surgery. She was going through a rough time and I was coming apart at the seams. And Aiden was there. It just kinda happened." I couldn't even look him in the eye as I told him what he wanted to know.

His fist tightened and that's when I realised it might not have been the best decision to give him the details he wanted. It would only stoke the fire and what good would come of that.

"When did you sleep together?"

I pressed my lips together, not wanting to reveal that detail.

"It doesn't matter when it happen, it only matters that it did."

"The least you can tell me if my best friend, who I trusted, put the moves on my girlfriend when I wasn't around."

I shook my head. "It wasn't like that."

"Why did you do it?" He studied me.

I shrugged. "I've never done anything like this before."

"Is that supposed to make me feel better?" he scoffed. "It doesn't."

He pulled his hand through his hair. "I was so worried about you and what you were going through but I didn't have to because Aiden was taking care of you, wasn't he?"

"I know that my decision has ruined what we had and I just need you to know that I never meant for any of this to happen. It was my fault and I take full responsibility for it." This time when I spoke I looked him dead on, I didn't look away.

He shook his head. "I should never have trusted him with you." He sighed but there was still an undercurrent of anger in his body language. "Here I thought I had a friend I could trust to take care of my girlfriend and he...broke my trust. But what you did was worse. I thought we had something special but clearly we didn't."

"We did," I replied.

He headed to the doorway. "If we did you wouldn't have slept with someone else." He gave me one last long look before he left and left me on shaky legs on the verge of tears.