Chapter 10 part 2

Start from the beginning

From that day, one day turned into two, then into a third. One day became another. We all held onto the hope that Lacey would wake up and be okay but with each day that passed it became harder to believe she would.

I had to try and catch up college work and when I wasn't doing that I was camped out at the hospital. Eventually I lost track of what day it was, the only thing that mattered was my friend. When I saw Aiden, I hated how my heart fluttered at the sight of him. I tried to keep things normal between us when all I could envision was his mouth on mine. My cheeks heated. I had never felt like that for anyone before and it was more than disconcerting. It was like with him I was very aware of my sexuality in a way I had never been before.

He was friendly but he kept his distance. It was exactly what I had wanted but not what I needed. I couldn't fault him even though his behaviour made me angry and annoyed.

I hated how I thought about him when he wasn't around, I was becoming some love sick girl that I didn't recognise.

I hadn't seem much of Max. He was trying to give me some space to deal with Lacey. It gave me the excuse to delay telling him the truth. I kept promising myself that once Lacey was out of the wood I would face it head on, no more hiding from it.

Maybe it was another excuse to allow me to cope but I tried not to think about it.

I was irritated, from lack of sleep and trying to finish an assignment when my phone rang.

It was Aiden. My hand hovered over the phone and I debated whether to pick it up. Finally, relenting I answered it.

"She's awake."

It took a few seconds for his words to make sense. I dropped my pen.

"She's awake?" It felt like it was impossible so I wondered if I had actually heard him correctly.

"Yeah."

He gave me a few moments. "You still there?"

"Yeah. I just can't believe she's finally awake. Did she say anything? How is she?"

The questions came out faster than he could answer them.

"She has some memory loss."

The relief I felt only seconds ago was stunted.

"Memory loss?" I echoed.

"Yeah. She doesn't remember me." There was a sadness in his voice. "Or her relationship with Gray."

I knew there had been a chance of memory loss but it was still hard hitting. But the main thing was she was awake. I took hold of the hope that my friend would recover completely and shut out everything other pessimistic thought.

"She'll remember," I assured him with a confidence that didn't come from any medical experience. My belief was if she had come this far what was a little memory loss. It seemed so small in comparison to the worst case scenario. Death.

I heard him sigh.

"Just give her time. She just needs time to heal." During the time I had needed him to hold me up and show me I wasn't alone he had stepped up and this was my chance to do the same for him.

"You're right. It just sucks right now. I just want to give her hug because I'm so glad she is awake and she has no idea who I am."

There was a moment of silence.

"She will remember. I just know it." She had overcome so much, remembering some forgotten memories felt like a walk in the park compared to my worse fears.

"I know."

"I'm going to head to the hospital. Will I see you there?"

It was probably not a good idea to see him but I wanted to be able to comfort him.

"No. I need to get some coursework done and I'm looking forward to getting a good nights sleep tonight."

We had all been living with the stress of Lacey's situation, twenty four hours for the last seven days. And now she was awake and we could all just relax for the first time.

"I get it. I'll keep you updated if you want."

"Thanks Reece."

He ended the call.

I sat there for a few minutes.

It felt like forever since I had been able to take a breath and relax for the first time. Then I thought back to all the stuff that had gone down between Aiden and myself. I couldn't put off telling Max the truth anymore and I would have to have the talk I had been delaying with Aiden on what was going on between us. I contemplated if my feelings and uncharacteristic actions would continue now that my friend was finally out of danger and awake. Only time would tell.