Childhood Crush

When we were young, we used to play "bahay-bahayan" kay Tisoy (it's our car na tamaraw fx). It was just the two of us, and we've kinda created our small bubble of imagination.

Tisoy would be our house, Me as your wife, and you as my husband and the father of our imaginary baby. Naaalala mo pa ba yun? Because I can still remember it as clear as day. And while we play, we used to call each other "Hon".

And me, being imaginary pregnant, the "aswang" used to "attack" us and you would always fight for me and our imaginary baby. That time, hindi mo alam na crush kita. I think, all you ever knew was magkalaro tayo and we both enjoyed it.

Kaya lang, hindi naman ako ang crush mo nun. Si ate Ja yung crush mo nun. Pero okay lang, hindi ka naman nya nakakalaro ng solo, unlike me. We play make-believe all day. And it made me believe that we would end up together when we grow up and finally have a real baby. But ofcourse, hindi na kasama sa pangarap ko yung "aswang".

And then, because super layo ng school ko from our house, lumipat kami ng bahay, yung mas malapit sa school pero malayo naman sayo. Hindi naman ako nahirapang mag-adjust nun. And, hindi rin naman kita palaging naiisip. You were just my childhood crush. Infatuation nga lang siguro yun.

But after several years, my family and I decided to pay a visit sa old house namin. And then I saw you, you were tall, dark, and yes, very handsome. And you still have that dazzling smile. The one I really like to see the most in your face. Memories of us when we were just kids flashed in my mind. And suddenly, I just felt this feeling of wanting to be with you.

We didn't really talk much. Just a simple "oh, you're here!" from you, and a simple "yeah" from me. It felt awkward and weird how things have changed between the two of us. How from being comfortable with each other, we turned out to be really awkward with one another.

After that awkward greeting, I just stood from a far and watched you talk with our childhood friends. I badly want to talk to you, ask you how have you been, and catch up with those things that happened when I was away. But, I didn't have the courage to do so, until the day ends, and we have to go.

I wanted to start communicating with you again. I wanted to try to make our little bubble again. So when I got home, I started searching you on Facebook. It was easy since we have mutual friends. So, I sent you a friend request and you accepted it.

I asked for your cellphone number, I told you I have everyone else's except yours, unfortunately, you're a smart user while I was a globe user. So we don't really frequently send each other messages. I gave up, and instead, I focused on my studies.

Two years passed, and it was just days before my Debut. We decided to pay a visit in our old house again and to give the invitations to our childhood friends, and of course, to you. You weren't included in any 18 thingy there. But still, I wanted you to be there on the day I'd turn into a woman.

On the day of my debut, you weren't there. Our childhood friends made it but where were you? Instead of crying and ruining my day, I just ignored it and tried to be happy. It's my day, after all. And just as when the 18 candles were done making their wishes for me and when I was about to blow the candles, you came in, playing a guitar, while smiling at me.

You walked slowly towards me, not leaving your eyes off mine, while singing the song "Harana". The song ended, and then you kneeled in front of me, in front of everyone. You looked in my eyes with your sincere ones.

"There's this promise that I made with your dad when we were kids. He said he wont let me court you, not until you're 18. So I promised to wait until you've grown into a woman. And finally, that day has come. I have loved you since we were kids, and I will love you until we both grow old, with wrinkles, and a bunch of gray hair. I know, this sounds more like a wedding proposal, but that's yet to come. For now, please allow me to be one step closer to my dream, and that, is to be with you forever. Please allow me to court you. Your dad has already agreed."

Your eyes were expectant. And because of the happiness you've planted in my system, I can't help but cry. Cry with so much happiness. I can't even speak so I just nodded. You shouted a loud "YES!" and jumped a couple of times, a triumphant smile not leaving your face, before finally, you enveloped me in your arms, making me feel safe, comfortable, and loved. Home.

And that was the beginning of our happily ever after.