Part 2: Chapter 43

Chapter 43: Meeting the Family

Work was a bit draining today. Clark was excited to have more responsibility and be able to do some of the interior designing. But, as a noobie, he was forced to work with a partner. Today, the difficulty of that relationship grew apparent. It was hard enough to agree on colors a week prior. Now, they were clashing on the couch choice and whether they would use silver or brass accents in the kitchen–obviously brass would match the client's aesthetic more but his partner couldn't see that.

Clark slammed the door to the condo, ready to rant about it all to Ethan. Imagine his surprise when he found Ethan giggling at his phone. All signs of irritation left him. Why focus on your own drama when you could tease your friends for theirs?

The thump of a bag brought Ethan's attention up and he came face to face with Clark grinning widely.

"Is that Chris?" He asked, nodding his head towards the phone in his hand. Ethan looked down at the device, then up at Clark again. This felt like an attack but about what, he couldn't say.

"Yeah, so?"

Clark shrugged as if to say 'no biggy' but it was totally a biggy.

"You guys are getting awfully close these days, huh?"

So that's what this is about.

"We went out together like once. It's not a big deal," He argued, pulling back into his seat.

"Oh, really?"

"Yeah, he's going to come over tomorrow for dinner actually," Ethan added. As he spoke, he perked up in his seat, his guarded expression opening up into a smile. "You should join us."

Clark's teasing smile disappeared. He didn't miss Ethan's clever misdirection or how the power shifted from his hands. More importantly, he didn't know how he felt about being invited.

"I don't know if I wanna be third-wheeling."

Ethan shooed away the notion, waving his hand as if physically removing the idea.

"We're just friends Clark," He repeated, the phrase leaving his lips since high school. "Besides, I want you guys to get along."

"This feels like a single dad wanting his son to like his new girlfriend," Clark muttered into his palm.

"Clark."

"I'm just kidding and fine, I'll join since I'm not cooking right?"

"Right. Chris and I can take care of that," He assured him, going in for the kill. Clark perked up, quirking his head at something he'd heard. He smirked.

"Ooh, cooking together already?" He taunted, making Ethan drop his head onto the table between them.

"Shut up!"

—————

Chris sighed as he walked up to the bathroom faucet. The water dripping off of his freshly washed hands was smeared down his face. His last meeting was exhausting. Necessary, but exhausting. As the head of advertising, the data analysis team had to show him graph after graph and spreadsheet after spreadsheet. All the newest data showing demographic trends and public opinions towards puma had to be delivered to him personally. The meeting was held for good reason: the information gathered in these meetings crafted the target of their ads. So yes, Chris listened raptly and took detailed notes. He just couldn't help but feel a bit drained by hours of spreadsheets.

The repositioning of his tie was the sign that break time was over.

"Reminder that we're meeting in conference room five in fifteen minutes," Chris announced, coming to stand in front of his team. Their desks were arranged into two lines where each person faced another team member, creating a wide aisle leading to Chris's desk. Chris watched the tell-tale signs of them preparing for a meeting as he walked down this aisle. Fingers typed faster, computers were turned off, and some books and tablets were grabbed seconds before they made their way to the room.