Chapter 5 - Gaining Attention

Start from the beginning

Along the way, she attracted many glances and whispers.

"Huh? Did we have such a young inner disciple?"

"But she doesn't have any cultivation."

"What is she doing here? Is she one of the elders' daughters?"

The unknown brought with it certain fears, so they all kept their distance. They didn't know if Shao Yue was someone they could provoke or not. Thus, her shopping trip was peaceful, and she returned within half an hour, as promised.

Back in the main room, Shao Yue set up a complex array on a piece of parchment using a few seemingly random crystals and baubles she picked up from the store.

She had no attainments in arrays. She had no idea how the array worked. An Emperor experienced in assassination and subterfuge had taught it to her, taking advantage of her peerless memory. All she knew was that the combination of lines and objects set up within a circle would have the desired effect.

Shao Yue set an inkwell in the center of the array and called for Ren Meili.

"What is it, master?"

"Place your hand on this array and put your qi into it, the same as when you had your Spirit's grade measured."

"Um, okay."

Ren Meili obeyed her orders. The pattern on the parchment lit up and the crystals shattered before the light all flowed into the ink. She tilted her head, confused.

"Tell me," Shao Yue said, sitting down. "What do you think you lack the most? Attack techniques, movement techniques, defensive techniques, cultivation techniques, or body tempering techniques?"

"I've never practised a body tempering technique," Ren Meili admitted. They cost an order of magnitude more than other techniques of the same grade. She could never afford one, let alone a decent one.

"Understood. Then, you're dismissed until dinner."

"Yes, Master."

Ren Meili was curious about the array but knew better than to ask questions.

Shao Yue took a blank book she'd purchased and began to write using the infused ink.

Hours passed.

"Master, I've brought your dinner."

"Good timing." The ink had finished drying, so Shao Yue shut the book and accepted the tray of food. "This is for you."

Shao Yue handed over the book. Ren Meili flipped through the blank pages with a confused look. "What is this?"

"Inject your qi into it."

When Ren Meili's qi made contact with the ink, it turned visible, filling the pages with words. "Steel Body Transmutation Technique?"

Shao Yue nodded. "This is a body tempering technique for metal qi users. At the first stage, your skin will become as durable as steel. Bladed weapons will be unable to cut you. At the second stage, your bones receive the same treatment. Even heavy impacts won't shatter them. At the final stage, it affects your muscles, and your body becomes its own suit of armour."

Ren Meili was speechless. She flipped through the book in a daze. Shao Yue began to eat.

After Ren Meili read it through in its entirety, she exclaimed, "This is profound! What grade is this?"

"It's on the upper end of grade four."

Ren Meili sucked in her breath. "Is it really okay to give me this?"