Chapter 5 - Gaining Attention

After Shao Yue had spent a month at the Sect, the elders summoned Ren Meili to the main hall to give a report.

"Junior Sister Shao is a very focused person," Ren Meili said. "She spends one hour a day practising the sword. The rest of the time, outside of eating, bathing, and such, she cultivates. When I retire for the night, she's still cultivating. When I wake up, she's still cultivating. I'm honestly not sure if she even sleeps."

The five elders sitting at the end of the hall exchanged glances. Being able to forgo sleep by meditating was certainly possible. However, typically only cultivators at the Heavenly Realm could achieve it. Shao Yue was at the third realm, while the Heavenly Realm was the sixth realm.

Even if she was sleeping, she'd still be cultivating for at least twelve hours a day, day in and day out. Even the strongest among them, at the Nascent Soul Second Stage, could only focus for around four hours. As for the disciples, if any of them could meditate for an hour or two, it would be a great achievement.

What sort of genius had delivered herself into their hands?

The Third Elder asked, "Have you learned anything about her likes and dislikes?"

"Responding to Third Elder, Junior Sister Shao cares a lot about her health," Ren Meili replied. "She only takes one pill a day to avoid building impurities in her body and sometimes praises the nutrition of the meals provided to her. She has also mentioned that she won't begin body tempering until she finishes growing."

"Interesting." The Fourth Elder stroked his chin. "I wonder if she has received instruction from some unknown master."

Ren Meili continued, "I have offered to teach Junior Sister Shao how to open her meridians, but she is highly against the idea."

"Did she mention why?"

"All I know is that she believes there to be a great benefit to keeping them closed. She said giving details would only cause me to become unmotivated."

Silence fell.

The head elder asked, "Is there anything else you've noticed?"

"Junior Sister Shao really doesn't do much other than cultivate," Ren Meili said, wracking her brain. "She hasn't even left the courtyard in this past month. Oh, but she mentioned wanting to watch the competition between the outer disciples."

"Really?" Inner disciples would often come watch out of boredom or bet on matches, but such a thing clashed with Shao Yue's apparent indifferent personality. "Then, we'll call you again after the competition. Continue with your duties."

"Yes, elders."

Ren Meili cupped her fists and left. The elders promptly started discussing the unbelievable information.

Shao Yue withdrew her divine sense with a smile. Ren Meili hadn't exposed anything. It seemed her disciple was trustworthy after all. She wondered how she could reward the woman without hindering her own cultivation.

As Ren Meili returned, Shao Yue 'coincidentally' began to leave.

"Oh, hello, Master," Ren Meili greeted.

"Meili." Shao Yue nodded in greeting. "I'll be heading out for a bit."

"Huh? Really?"

She nodded again. "I have some things to buy. It'll only be half an hour at most."

"If you're stepping out, you should put on your sleeves."

"Oh, good call. Thanks."

Shao Yue had almost forgotten about her dress code rebellion. She amended it to avoid trouble and headed over to a supply store.