Afraid of the person a drug addict becomes. Afraid of how much power their addiction holds over them. I've seen it. So yeah I was almost terrified.

But not disgusted.

He could never disgust me. He simply couldn't.

"You still with me?" he asks – trying to look in my eyes – and I blink rapidly as I lift my head.

"Yeah, it's just..." I slowly trail off, looking down at my hands. "I want to understand why, that's all," I softly say. "Because no. I'm not disgusted by you and I never will be. But it's difficult to separate you from the horrible addicts I've met. And that scares me..." I almost whisper.

"Ilaria, I'd never hurt you-"

"No, no," I immediately cut him off. "I know but I think that a part of me will always just be very afraid of the possibility."

"So you're afraid of drug addicts but not men like your father?" he asks and I'm taken back.

"Men like my father?" I defensively ask.

Excuse me?

"Angelo is a horrible drunk who doesn't stop talking," he clarifies and I scoff. "But yes."

"For one, my father would never hurt me. He'd hurt for me," I say, shooting him a warning look and he shakes his head with a little smile. "And right now you might be top of my list, so if I were you I'd watch what you have to say about him."

"I'm not trying to shit talk your father. God knows he'd be able to sense it. And I choose life," he playfully says and I can't help but almost laugh. "But I'm sure you've seen and heard things much worse."

He's not wrong...

"So are you trying to make up an excuse or are you genuinely afraid of drug addicts? Afraid of me?" he asks, pulling me a little closer to him. "Be honest with me... please," he whispers and I watch the sadness swirl in his eyes. "Your opinion on me is the only one I care about, and- and if you hate me because of what happened, I don't know if-"

"I don't hate you," I quickly assure him. "Maybe I'm hurt, angry or whatever but I don't, hate you," I slowly say.

"Then why don't you come back?" he asks and I watch his eyes soften. "I need you," he whispers against my lips and my heart hammers in my chest at how vulnerable he sounds right now.

Resting my forehead against his I close my eyes, feeling his arms snake around me as he holds me tightly.

"I will, I just..." I slowly trail off as I contemplate whether I'm ready or not.

There's a knock on the door and I kiss his cheek as I rest my head on his shoulder.

"Arabella if it's you, go away," I call out and the door opens anyway.

"I'm coming in," my mother says, her hand in front of her eyes. "Mamma is entering the room now," she dramatically says.

I watch as she slowly removes her hand before her huge smile immediately drops.

"I'm interrupting something, aren't I?" she softly asks and I sadly nod. "Well these are pajamas and something for him to wear tomorrow," she explains, dropping a little pile of clothes – neatly folded – onto my dresser.

I can't help but smile as I lift my head. Turning my head to look at her I watch as she whips around to face us.

"Preferably get changed separately and not in the same room-"