Every Second, Every Thought, I'm In So Deep; But I'll Never Show It On My Face

"I didn't want to be the one to tell you, Jeongin should be. But I can tell you what I can." Hyunjin starts, looking at the omega's face to make sure he wasn't taking any of this the wrong way.

"What do you mean?" Felix asks, growing more and more confused. Honestly, if he really thought about it, he would understand, but for the moment, he preferred if his assumptions were kept ignored. The alpha sighs again, his eyes focusing on their joined hands as he rubs his thumb over the soft skin.

"Jeongin and I, we weren't complete strangers. My mother met him when she found him and his mother on the streets, on a cold rainy night. My mother is a soft one for children, and she's too kind for her own good. She saw hope in Jeongin's mother, a strong woman who was still willing to fight for her son, even in poverty and abandon. She brought them to the castle, allowed them to stay for the night. She lent my old clothes to Jeongin, and that's when I first noticed him. he was quiet, shy and not that talkative, probably was a bit scared of my mom." Hyunjin begins, letting out a soft chuckle at the last phrase. Felix listens carefully, nodding his head attentively. 

"My mother found them work. Jeongin's mother helped in the gardens, and any work she could manage when she wasn't tending to the flowers. Jeongin usually did minor work around the castle, as well as helping his mother. Back then, he was the only kid around the castle, excluding me, so I felt excited and nervous to have someone to talk to. I didn't have any siblings, so company was something unusual to me. I used to sit by the gardens and watch him while he worked, and eventually, I mustered up the courage to start talking. Once we got past that barrier, I found out he was a fun person to spend time with. He was shy at times when he shared things about himself, but he was funny and the difference between our lives kind of helped us understand how much there was to live. He taught me to grow and plant the flowers, pick out the dead leaves, how to search for the right fruit, how to catch dragonflies. And when he had free time, I taught him how to ride a horse, and everything I learnt from my classes." 

"But as we grew up, we grew distant. I got busy with school, private classes during the morning and sword-fighting in the afternoon, followed by training in the forests in the evening. And Jeongin got more time-consuming work, all around the castle. We'd only see each other around the halls, talk for a few seconds before getting called by someone else. Eventually even those conversations stopped, it turned into short smiles, then brief nods or bows, and at one point, we kind of stopped acknowledging it at all." Hyunjin stops, pursing his lips. Felix shakes his head, sighing. 

"That's- That's where things fell apart between you both?" He asks, and the taller male nods curtly. 

"We went back to strangers." Hyunjin says quietly, sighing as he looks outside the window, memories of his childhood running through his head like a film that was stashed away for years.

"Then, when I was eighteen, my mother told me of the great prophecy, the fate the gods had decided for me. I was mad, I was enraged, I wanted to curse and scream at the gods, but I was helpless. What was decided was to be done, and I couldn't do anything about it. Word spread around like wildfire that I was to be married to a gifted omega of the rival kingdom, and one day, out of nowhere, Jeongin showed up at my room. Weird? Yes. After three years of not talking, he decides to talk when my future is at stake." Hyunjin continues, the vivid image of him opening the door and finding Jeongin at the door, a worried expression on his face. He was still a little dirty from working in the garden, and a little sweaty from running around so much, but it didn't really come dawn on him that the servant was tired, yet came to see him and check on him.

"Jeongin asked me how I was, and I- well I acted without thinking and started lashing out at him. I-I shouldn't have, but I did. I took out all my anger and frustration on him, but he didn't leave. He stood there and waited for me to finish all of it before asking me if I was done. Then, he did the most weirdest thing I would have expected him to do." Hyunjin tells the omega, a small, very faint, smile on his face.