50

Neil Francis Juariz

"Francis, am I bad ba? Kaya ba namatay ang mommy ko kasi gusto ko rin ang boy?" I looked at the small kid in front of me. Something feels different. The scene in front of me was too familiar. 

How could I not remember this small, angelic face? It caused me so much trouble and crisis. That face made me question a lot of things at a young age.

Thinking of someone else when I couldn't even care for myself may sound like a joke. But I don't care about what other people would think of that.

I want to protect him but I was powerless.

"Your mom died because someone was recklessly driving. It has nothing to do with you. You're a victim too, Mason."

I want to tease him and see his annoyed face. I'd rather see him mad than see him cry like this. He was always bright and smiles like sunshine. He was an innocent fairy in my world filled with darkness and unrealistic expectations.

I don't want to see him cry like this. I don't want to see him as hurt as this. I don't want him to blame himself for something he has no control over.

I want him to be proud of himself always. I want to take him far from the dirtiest mud in the world. I want to shield him from all those impurities. But I couldn't do it.

I had nothing. I was nothing. 

"Ma, why can't I see Mason?" The world warped around me and I was taken back to my mom's room.

"Sabi ng dad niya pinadala daw niya si Mason sa labas ng bansa para doon mag-aral. Are you sad ba, anak?"

Sad? I was sure I was not sad before. I was devastated. I feel panicked. I hate the feeling of losing control and not knowing what to do.

"Where is he, ma? Can I visit him there?" Hindi ako nakaramdam ng takot na mawalay sa mga magulang ko, pero alam ko sa sarili kong natatakot akong mawala ang batang 'yon.

"I'm sorry, anak, hindi sinabi ng dad niya kung nasaan siya."

"Maybe we can try asking him again, ma?" Ang pagpupumilit ko pa.

"Anak, let's leave them alone muna ha? They're grieving their lost. Hayaan na muna natin sila. I know Mason's dad will tell us where your friend is kapag okay na sila."

I waited for that to happen. I waited and waited. Ilang taon ang hinintay ko pero ni isang balita wala akong narinig tungkol sa kanya. I heard different rumors about him. Some say he died from depression, some says he changed his name, some says he got into an accident, and all sort of things that made his chance of coming back to me almost none.

At a young age, I learned how to be an adult. I grow up as fast as I can almost pushing myself to the edge. I invented things hoping they'll help me find him. I learned how to do business because I learned that money can make the world smaller. With money, I'll have connections, I'll have power, I'll have people, I'll have the means to bring him back to me.

My body remained but the things around me began to melt. Napalinga-linga ako sa paligid hanggang nag-iba ulit ang anyo nito.

And there I saw my little Mason with slashes all over his body. His feet was battered to pulp as it rests above a pool of blood. Putok ang mga labi niya at may malaking pasa ang kalahati ng mukha niya. Para akong tinakasan ng dugo sa nakikita ko.